Burnt rotor?

quackers1989

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced the engine on my bike and swapped the rotor that was on it for my old one. I hooked up the battery and started messing around with some of the electrical controls when I noticed a burning smell. It turned out it was coming from the rotor. Is it possible that these things can "burn out?" It has been sitting for a while...maybe that's a contributing factor?

Well you're going to need a new rotor more than likely but before you toast a second one be sure to fix what got the first.

Custom Rewind in Alabama can rebuild your old rotor to better than new or Hugh can fix you up with a PM conversion.

I recently replaced the engine on my bike and swapped the rotor that was on it for my old one. I hooked up the battery and started messing around with some of the electrical controls when I noticed a burning smell. It turned out it was coming from the rotor. Is it possible that these things can "burn out?" It has been sitting for a while...maybe that's a contributing factor?

Have you measured the resistance of the rotor (remove brushes)from slip ring to slip ring, and from slip ring to rotor frame?

Back