I hate electrical Gremlins !

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I had this 82' for a number of years... then sold it to my buddy's lawn boy.... freshman Joe College. " Joe " had his older Uncle's check the bike.... sold... cheap $1000.oo Two years later I drive pass " Joe's " house... and the bike is parked outside under a tarp .... Nooooo ! .... you don't do that to a motorcycle.... even to a Suzuki .... I call'd the kid... he said it quit running... I bought it back... . $800.oo.... Today pulled the carbs.... pain in the kister what with all the hoses, air boxes and stuff.... drain and flushed the fuel tank.... went thru the carbs... thin wire thru the jets.... no real issues... diaphragms passed the test..... Tossed in a battery... one fuse was bad..... fired the bike up.... seemed to run well.... but at 2000 rpm.... only battery voltage.... Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh... About 3-4 years ago I replaced the rotor... So.... next week... perhaps the electrical Gods will take pity on me and it's just a set of brushes.... While in Omaha last weekend... I scored a very nice Vetter Quick Silver ..... If the stars algin I hope to ride it at WildCat and perhaps next year's Ozarks.... Once the Vetter is mounted, I'll searched for the mono radio system.... 😎

Attachments

• Xs Special copy.jpg
    Xs Special copy.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Mikes 82 A.jpg
    Mikes 82 A.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Mikes 82.jpg
    Mikes 82.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 44
I checked everything .... volt ohm metered this and that..... College Kid had new volt-reg and other bits.... nothing..... no charge'n..... Aaaaaaaaaargh :mad: So I swallowed my pride and called my buddy.... he knows electricals.... took it to his garage..... first thing he checked... rotor.... (I replaced it 4 years ago)... works....I left it yesterday....... today... text.. all good.... the " new " parts don't work..... he tossed in the old voltage reg and .... WTF ? It charges.... I decided if it runs well the rest of the season.... I'll strip it down and do a restoration..... Yeah... I know for every dollar I spend ... I'll get... squat back..... let the estate sale sort it out..... 😎

Mounting this faring is a pain in the kister..... 😧

Attachments

• Quicksilver.jpg
    Quicksilver.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 35
Back