butterfly valve gasket

Wes-712

XS 650 new bobber project
Reaction score
Does anyone know the type and size of the gasket that is on the rod that turns the butterfly valves right after it goes through the first (left ) carb going from the throttle cable, etc to the right?

I've got an air leak that gets worse as the bike gets hot causing it to run lean and have a slow drop of rpm to idle. There is no doubt this is where the leak is after spraying carb cleaner numerous times everywhere. when sprayed in that one spot, the bike drops fast and almost dies.

I've attached an image with arrows to the exact gasket I need.

So far I cannot find a parts list that shows this part. Or find it available anywhere. So I was thinking of making my own, or hoping it's a universal size. If it is a universal size, then I could buy it before taking it apart, then put it right back together instead of making a trip after.

Thanks in advance. Honestly, I'm just happy I finally found the air leak after buying new intake manifolds and re-welding the header pipe to get rid of air leaks! I should've sprayed carb cleaner first. But fixed other stuff since it looked worn anyway. :banghead:

Attachments

• IMAG0126.jpg
    IMAG0126.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 96
Thanks guys.

I've contacted Yamaha Corporate tech dept. and guess what, they cant prove its the same part either for all years. But everyone on all forums says it's a match. And this part was used up to 2013 for sure on the vstar250. Being such a common part, I'm pretty positive you guys are right.

I've ordered them overnighted so I can get her running better before next wkends ride out to an AMCA swap meat and flat track racing.

Thanks again.

Do either of you know of a way to change out this gasket without taking the two carbs apart from each other?

I dont see any way to slide off the coupling or the butterfly valve rod without doing so, but the bolts to the bar holding the two carbs together are in there good. I'll probably have to heat them up a lil in order to not strip them, or grind a line in them to make them flathead.

Thanks for the info guys. All went smooth for me. Didnt have an issue with stripping butterfly valve screws, whew...

That part number does fit the '83 as well. The part is actually a really common one for yamaha bikes and atv carbs, used up till 2013 at least.

Bike runs much better, but still not perfect. I still have a few other minor issues to attend to. BUT this is the best she's ever run (after fixing this and a gas flow issue with the float), which makes me a lil happy :bike: after so many months of building and headaches.

Thanks again.

Back