Buying a project bike without a transmission?

studentZ

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I'm new here and figured I'd get to posting.

I'm looking to start my first project with an xs650 and am currently looking around for a candidate for sort of a bobber build.

I found a guy in my area selling a rolling chassis with a title for $1000. It has the frame with a TC bros hardtail welded on, wheels/tires, handlebars, forks, and a motor.

The guy told be the motor was from a good condition '77 that he parted out.... but it doesn't have the transmission.

My first impression is that this is a big negative. Is it possible to swap transmissions from other model years? How hard is it to find a transmission? It seems to me that at that point I'm going to have to just get a complete engine? I like the idea of getting something with the frame work I want already done.... but I know complete stock bikes can be had for the same price.

Anyways, as a complete newb to the xs650 realm I greatly appreciate the help!:bike:

I could sell you a trans if you buy the bike. Price would depend on what's really missing. Where do you live? You can spend a lot of money buying a piece here and there, but if what's there is really good, it can be worth it.

John

I would run from a $1000 bike that wasnt complete. If he will negotite a reasonable price, then go for it.

i agree, 1000 bucks for whats basically a rolling chassis is a little steep, even with half an engine... now if he got a trans and got the engine in running order, then maybe I would bite...

yea man I paid 1000 bucks for one running bike thats already chopped and two others with allllllll the parts....frames, motors, wheels, front end....

I think you can find a better deal

just my two cents though

Ha, so I was wrong!:shrug:

I was looking at pics he sent me on my cell phone; from the angle/tiny picture size it looked like there was a lot missing from the bottom end. After exchanging an email with him I found that the left side engine cover was simply removed. Everything is there, including the wiring harness.

I'll see if he'll go down on the price a bit and go from there.

Stone- wow, that sounds like a hell of a deal! I haven't seen anything like that pop up around here (Baltimore).

As a side question:

I'm in Maryland (I see a Naptowner posted above!). As long as the title is good and matches the frame I'm good to go, right? I'm a little confused by all the necessary transfer stuff, I've only bought/registered a fully stock motorcycle before.

Any pointers?

Before I laid out any cash for a non-running bike, I'd also want to have a real good look at the frame. You don't know who did the welding after all. I would start with a stock runner if I were you. That way you know what you got, and don't have to correct somebody elses mistakes.

Ha, so I was wrong!:shrug:

I was looking at pics he sent me on my cell phone; from the angle/tiny picture size it looked like there was a lot missing from the bottom end. After exchanging an email with him I found that the left side engine cover was simply removed. Everything is there, including the wiring harness.

I'll see if he'll go down on the price a bit and go from there.

Stone- wow, that sounds like a hell of a deal! I haven't seen anything like that pop up around here (Baltimore).

It was, It would have been stupid to not take it all. I agree, starting with a stock runner might not be a bad idea. I was half lucky, one of the hardtailed bikes had good welds and all that, but the other one...not so much, the hardtail is tweaked and needs to either be straightened out or chopped off and re done.

If you start with just a stocker, from there on out you will know whats been done and who does it. Helps alot when your riding down the road and you know your frames not going to split in half haha

keep us posted!

Thanks for the good advice guys!:thumbsup:

I think I will hold off and wait for a good deal on a running stock bike.
-I will get to know the bike better
-I will know exactly what goes into it/how well it's done
-I won't be blind as to how well the engine runs to start off with
-I think I'll just get it titled/inspected before I do anything to it

I'm most interested in the last point; here in MD bikes need a fairly thorough inspection to get registered/titled. I figure this is probably the easiest way to deal with that?

As a side question:

I'm in Maryland (I see a Naptowner posted above!). As long as the title is good and matches the frame I'm good to go, right? I'm a little confused by all the necessary transfer stuff, I've only bought/registered a fully stock motorcycle before.

Any pointers?

yeah. as long as the title matches the VIN you're good. you'll have to have it inspected though before you get tags. that may be the tough part.

I still would have a hard time paying $1000 for a non runner. I paid WAY less for my compleye 79 in non running condition. The reality of buying a non runner is the motor could be complete junk, You never know till to get it ready to fire ( carbs adn ignition stuff worked out from setting) I somewhet deal in used bikes and I have never paid over $500 for a bike that didnt run. EVER. After all, your taking all the risk.

I payed $1,500 for a bike that didn't run once. Spent a few hours cleaning the carbs and sold it for $2,400. $900 for a few hours work was great. You're right about it being a gamble though. If you bring a compression tester and it all checks out, that'll take a lot of risk away from buying a non runner.

Thats all fine and good till you get it home and crank it up to find ZERO oil pressure and rods banging. I Bought one for $150 and had this exact scenario. I dont pay much for non running motorcycles just beacsue of the risk.

As soon as I posted that I knew the next reply would be something like that. But I said it'll take away a lot of the risk, not all of it. Most bikes that I find that don't run and have compression just need a carb cleaning or other minor work. I also don't pay much for non running motorcycles because of the risk, but it's a calculated risk. A running bike that might go for $1,000 might be had for $400 not running. Even if the motor is totally screwed, a hundred bucks should get you another one to drop in, if you don't already have a few spare engines in the corner of your garage. :D

Easy man, We are agreeing here. I have paid more when I knew I could part it out for alot more becasue of the specific bike. I can usually make a very educated guess as to the condition myslef. Especially if its a kick start bike. I agree with making an educated guess, but I was just posting that i woulnt get near $1000 for an XS650 that didnt run. I dont think you could end up right side up if there were serious problems.

Back