Buying a second bike suggestions

Grinder

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I want to buy a new bike this spring for longer trips. I'll probably always keep the Xs but want something bigger and more comfortable. Here are my criteria:
No Harleys (sorry Harley guys) Not bad bikes but too many of them around here.
10K or less
New
Upright riding position (tried FJR1300, hurting after 10 miles)
Windshield, bags etc.
I've been thinking about Star bikes but really not sure about Harley wannabe's although the cruiser type of bike would probably suit me.
Also looked at Triumph but sparse dealer network.
Your comments, suggestions all welcome.

If the crusier style is what you want I would think most any of them would work.
And what is not to like? The hardest part of riding them is fueling.
If you don't mind a little age to them the Honda Magna series seems to be reliable but still chain driven. If i were stepping up I would consider shaft driven and water cooled.
The V-Star, Vulcans and Boulevards all come in various sizes at reasonable prices.

At my age and abused back I find I like cruisers, floorboards, and backrests. Twins tend to give better mileage and I guess around a 750 is the sweet spot for solo riding and fuel consumption. The new 1800 wings get very good fuel mileage I don't know if Honda did the work on some of their smaller engined bikes. A buddy says his 1800 wing regularly gets above 50MPG Much better than his old 1500 wing. I am on my 4th 1100 shadow and like them. Swapped around till I got an Aero for looks and riding position and may swap again to the last year of 1100 Aero for a little more HP But I don't often ride long distances. One common downside of cruisers is compromised suspension travel for the low look and seat height.

Thanks for the ideas guy's. I'm going to take a Star 950 touring for a ride on Sat. to see how that feels. RG, I didn't even really consider a dual sport bike before but that 1000cc Vstrom looks very interesting...will have to check that one out. Snowed here today so PMS is kicking in (parked motorcycle syndrome)...it's going to be a long winter.

I am partial to Triumph. The Speedmaster is a fun, comfortable bike and around $8500 on the road, brand new. But the dealers are a bit sparce. Still something to try if you have dealer around. I was very surprised.

I actually looked at a Speedmaster and the America. They were both really nice bikes and alot the the XS. I didn't get to ride them though as it rained on demo day. My concern is they would be too much like the XS with the vibes but can't say without trying one. The dealers are about 50 miles in opposite directions from me which isn't a deal breaker but the Yamaha dealers are much closer.

I like the fact that 34yrs later you can still buy some new parts for the XS from the dealer and would hope it would be the same for a new bike down the road.

I like Yamaha's V-Star series of motorcycles, I'm on my second V-Star, it's an 1100 Silverado. Both of the V-Stars I have owned have been gas & go, all I've had to do is change the oil and put gas in it. The 1100 is hefty enough that it's not affected by cross winds or rain grooves on the freeway. It has a big seat and floorboards which allow me to change foot positions front to back. It has no problem running freeway speeds of 80 mph or secondary road speeds at 55 mph. I can get an honest 50 miles per gallon of gas. The big plus is that there are a ton of aftermarket bits and pieces to choose from, and there are Yamaha dealers everywhere.

Oh, and did I mention it's a Yamaha ?:D

Here is my current V-Star:

Sept11-1.jpg

Last edited:
It has to be a V Max! :thumbsup: (but I am biased!! :D)

Look for a late (ish) one where the owner has sorted the suspension and you will have a machine that can cruise all day if you want but also give you that adrenaline buzz when required.

You KNOW it makes sense. :)

My father in law has the Yamaha 1700. That thing is awesome. Very heavy though, not easily thrown around IMHO.
The Triumph Speedmaster didn't really shake like I thought it would. I'm small and it fit me quite well. I loved to ride the Speed Triple, but it is way to tall for me to feel comfortable.

Ya, that's it. My father in law has been riding since '59 and has owned just about every bike out there. His buddies all ride Harleys, but he say's he's too old and tired of, "putting his balls in a rock tumbler anymore". And can't bend over on the rockets.
He loves it. He rides for B.A.C.A., Bikers Against Child Abuse and rides for hours on end. 500 mile ride, he say's, "is nothing". He just get's tired of stopping for the other guys all the time. His is all stock though. It's really nice.

....and 'kin expensive! :eek:, too heavy :mad: fuel tank capacity limited :confused:.....but they do go rather well!:D

Max:

They're Wild Stars over there, right? Over here, they're well under $10K USD, a year or two old. Some dealership have a few 2009-2010 left overs for around that price.

TONS of aftermarket parts, almost all interchangeable since 1999+
3.5 gallons is roughly 150+ miles per tank.
1700 really isn't a light bike, though. It think it's 725LB'ish...

Personally, I've had mine since 2008 and wouldn't trade it for the world. It's a great big boy bike... :thumbsup:

And, I dare somebody to call me a "Harley Wannabe"... :yikes:

Rich

Last edited:
I can't say enough good things about the Star Raider. Especially the motor. The raider is very comfortable for single rider on long trips. If you're going two up either change out seats and turn it into a bagger or get the new stratoliner delux. The 113cu in. motor doesn't disappoint and spanks pretty much every HD in sight, even the CVO's. The only HD that even has a chance is the Vrod but only if the race is over a quarter mile. The motor is pretty much bullet proof. I know guys who have already turned 150-200k on their 2008 raiders with zero problems. If you purchase a raider upgrade your rear tire to an AVON 240 for better handling and longevity than the stock Metz 210 (the 210 has a very square profile which isn't great for handling...the 240 Avon is awesome and is great in the wet which the metz isn't. No worries that either bike isn't a 6 speed. with the 113 you don't need it. The motor wants to cruise at around 80-85mph and does so comfortably. The motor still pulls hard when giving full throttle at 90mph. Motor is governed to not surpass 130 even though it easily could.

Rich

Appologies - I was refering to the Gen II V Max.

This currently retails for £22500 (nearly $3600!). Needless to say you see more pigs piloting flying suacers than Gen II's.

Back