Caburetor problem

TonyThompson

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi,
starting my bike is becomming more and more complicated. My kickstart works fine, the pistons are rolling and the spark plugs are new, so I assumed that it was my carburetor... When I wanted to look into it, i realised that something was leaking gaz (prob in carburetor) and there was gaz all the way to my air filters.
I have never played into a carb before but i was thinking about buying a whole kit of new gazkets and bowls and stuff to make it new, but I'm doubting.
Is it a pro job and has anyone ever bought those kind of sets (the carburetor rebuilt set), is it easy to instal?
Thanks
Antoine

You're going to have to tell us more. Year of the bike any mods etc... What's gaz???
Just kidding man. Must be the thick accent. Let us know more. I'm guessing if you go through the carbs with a good cleaning, check float height and see if the floats are good then read the carb guide, should be golden.

Hi,
starting my bike is becomming more and more complicated. My kickstart works fine, the pistons are rolling and the spark plugs are new, so I assumed that it was my carburetor...
You assumed what was your carburetor?

From what you've written, it is possible that everything is normal. Dripping gas on the ground is a problem. "Gaz all the way to the air filter" can simply be the result of the last bit of gas that was sucked into the carbs just before you shut the bike down splashing around in the intake. In other words, it's not unusual at all to see "Gaz all the way to the air filters" if you remove the air filters immediately after shutting the bike down.

is the bike not running? carbs might be the problem, but it could be other stuff too. what condition is the bike? fresh out of a barn, untouched for 20 years? freshly rebuilt basket case? give us more info!

also, there isnt really a "rebuild kit" for these. mostly you can just take them apart, clean em out, maybe replace some orings or gaskets (if you need to), and youll be fine.

There are "Rebuild kits" out there. These carbs in several variations have been used on many bikes. Each application requires slightly different parts. If the kit you get has just the float bowl gasket and the float valves then it should be ok. Kits with new needles or jets probably won't have the needle or jets you need.
As I mentioned read the carb guide. Do the tear down, clean and inspect before you buy any parts. Often the only thing you need to replace is a float bowl gasket. Buy just a gasket. If you need jets, Buy the ones you need.
If you have a shop near by that works on bikes, street or dirt, atv's, snowmobiles, ect. They will have assorted jets around. Some used but still usable. They might even sell you an assortment and buy back the ones you don't use.
Leo

I asked my local shop if I could paw thru their collection of jets, they weren't too thrilled. they let me anyways. Charged new price. I was a regular customer their until I had some tires mounted on my Suzuki, they used a sharpie to note weight placement had too srcub lightly with acetone, they are clearcoated alum rims.
Now I just buy a few sizes up and down from niche cycle.

Back