Cafe build with RD400 tank

Oh, a Suzuki 650 twin. They're supposed to be very nice. Do keep us updated on that one, especially how it compares to our Yamaha 650.

done with the build, other than whatever minor tweaks are needed once i've got some miles on it.

it's tuned perfectly and handling is very balanced. whatever those shocks are on the back are great for solo riding, plus i really like the tires.

not too thrilled with the way the back of the seat looks sort of lopped straight off. if i had it to do over again i'd slope it or something. i went with some comfort on this one though, it's a layer of dense egg crate camping pad with two layers of spongy yoga mat on top of that.

i will also ventilate the left side motor cover with numerous holes before too long. fried an identical PMA stator a week ago on the other bike... i figure 200 watts of heat combined with some 250*F coming off the cases is just too much to be enclosed. fortunately that cover does not hold oil, so i'm going to insure it gets a lot more air flow.

the Suzuki GR650 build is going to wait until next spring.

Attachments

• IM004393.jpg
    IM004393.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 222
  • IM004396.jpg
    IM004396.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 215
A nice job on the XS. Once you get the tail end sorted out the bike will look more balanced. Probably just by adding a rear cowl.

I think you're going to like the GR, picked one up late in the summer, cleaned it up, had to put new carb boots on, (the ones that were on it were split where the rubber meets the metal), put new fork seals in,( same size as the late model XS650s), electronic ignition and so far the charging system seems OK, (a real weak point for '70s and 80's Suzukis). Smooth running, minimal vibration, quick acceleration (final gear ratio a bit higher than the XS). Mine is the model with the wire wheels. Here's a link to a manual you can download. http://www.vanluik.eu/GR 650 tempter Service manual (eng) 1983-1984.pdf

yes, i may need to add some type of cowl to blend the tail together. in the past i've used some formed aluminum or have adapted various cut down sportbike front fenders. will ride it a while and come to some conclusion...

thanks for the link to the GR info, will come in handy. it's in very dirty condition with the back of the frame already hacked off, but all the important stuff seems ok. i've saved worse. i hear they really move and you concur... may adapt a pair of Mikuni TM carbs i have on hand. the head does not appear to need any port work other than some exhaust side clean up. the headers can be used as-is with some race type cans although the left one is pretty banged up and will need welding work and one exhaust stud is hosed. rewiring it will be more involved than the early XS's.

added one pic but this is not a Suzuki forum so will post build elsewhere. it's an interesting variation on the XS though.

Attachments

• IM004355.jpg
    IM004355.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 183
Back