Cafe Gauages. Help a young padawan.

Garrett411

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey ya'll.

Cafe-ing my 79 XS out and and am wondering which gauges ya'll are using and your opinions. I am thinking small (>3") gauges. A mph and tach. Brands and suggested mounting schemes are helpful. I would like to have them in line or above the triple clamp.

Thanks!

-Garrett

I would go for Daytona "Velona" gauges. They have an 8000 rpm tacho, perfect for a street XS, and several speed ranges. Both speedo and tacho are electronic, so no need for cables and speedo/tacho drives. A lot lighter than stock, around 2 1/2" diameter (60 to 63 mm) Smaller than stock, but still reasonably easy to read.
Just Google "Daytona Velona"
I think these look good, a bit more classic than KOSO, ACEWELL and others, that in my opinion look a bit too modern on an XS. If you really feel like spending a lot of $$$, MOTOGADGET have very nice gauges.

Okay, I'm looking to use stock hardware if at all possible. I've never messed with gauges before. Are the electronic difficult to convert or install a sensor? I'm new at this streetbike stuff so i kind of swinging in the dark here. Thanks!

I use an Acewell 2853 digital tach/speedo, bought when it was priced over $100 less than it is now. For stable readings the tach needs to be hooked up to the coil with a 1 megohm resister in the signal wire. The tach can be set for any number of pulses per revolution, and the speedo can be calibrated to the nearest 1 mm. of tire circumference. A pickup that threads into the OE speedometer drive is available as an accessory; highly recommended.

I attached the instrument to the handle bar with a rubber covered cable clamp. It's surprisingly easy to read under all light conditions.

I would go for Daytona "Velona" gauges. They have an 8000 rpm tacho, perfect for a street XS, and several speed ranges. Both speedo and tacho are electronic, so no need for cables and speedo/tacho drives. A lot lighter than stock, around 2 1/2" diameter (60 to 63 mm) Smaller than stock, but still reasonably easy to read.
Just Google "Daytona Velona"
I think these look good, a bit more classic than KOSO, ACEWELL and others, that in my opinion look a bit too modern on an XS. If you really feel like spending a lot of $$$, MOTOGADGET have very nice gauges.

I know this is an old thread, but still relevant. I'm out of the garage lately, but I'm still excited about all the XS650 junk in my garage. Anyway, I saw the installation of one of these clocks on a XS650 YouTube video. It looks like it may be what I'm looking for.
95954_w_02WEB_600x450_crop_center.jpg

93390a_600x450.jpg

What is of particular interest is that this unit can plug into the speedometer cable. I'm attracted to that idea.
Here is the link to the USA vendor: Ridernomics

For those of you using these Daytona clocks, I'd be interested to see your opinion.

Back