Cafe' Racer Demand?

I think cafe's are a tougher sell here in the midwest. The guys I know eeking money out of bike building are all building bobbers and the like. And yeah it's eeking money out of bike building. Building for someone might be a good way to go but then you have that whole customer is right and "can we change this?" thing. Sometimes what you don't want to hear is what you need to hear. As far as price... it's a thin market out there, unless you are building on commission finding the customer for your exact vision could be hard. On the national level I have seen some 4 to 6K cafe / tracker XS650's, but not many. I don't think you can go buy all new custom parts, overhaul and performance mod the engine, get an exhaust, do the mock up, change, improve, redo, tear it down, build a wiring harness, apply a quality paint job, assemble it again, do hours of bug chasing parts chasing, and tuning and come out making $15 an hour, which isn't much for the risk and investment such a project carries. The economy just isn't strong enough yet for the dot com type cash spenders to be common. Take a hard look at completed auction cafe's on Ebay how good are they, how many hours and $$ went into their creation, what do they bring? Heck throw up some of what you find on here.

You can ask what you want, like that Japanese guy Shinya whatshisname. He makes pure junk, in these eyes, but he draws attention somehow and sells his crap, which falls apart on Brad Pitt right in front of TMZ's cameras! How do you feel about "rolling art" now, pretty boy?!!

You seem an angry little fella.

Shinya Kimura's bikes are not my cuppa, but they are different, and in an industrial way, beautiful.

He also isnt afraid to put himself out there. ANY builder willing to do this has my respect. Are you willing? Picture was taken with my camera.

Picture087.jpg

Shinya Kimura's bikes are not my cuppa, but they are different, and in an industrial way, beautiful.

He also isnt afraid to put himself out there. ANY builder willing to do this has my respect. Are you willing? Picture was taken with my camera.

Picture087.jpg

That looks like something i'd kill myself on ha

1500-2800 in Texas, not counting Austin. Hipster central. Nobody buying a 40 year old Japanese bike in Texas cares what you have in it, all they are worried about is what they are willing to pay. Seen my friend do many remarkable Honda "soft" restorations, and people want to give him 1200 bucks for them. He sells them on E-bay, lots of times to overseas dealers, for 3500-6000 dollars. BTW, if your "local garage" GETS 7K, be REALLY impressed. You can ask what you want, like that Japanese guy Shinya whatshisname. He makes pure junk, in these eyes, but he draws attention somehow and sells his crap, which falls apart on Brad Pitt right in front of TMZ's cameras! How do you feel about "rolling art" now, pretty boy?!!
They say making your hobby your job screws it up for ya. From past experience, I tend to agree.

You wanna talk hipster central.... Here in Minneapolis man, the word hipster was actually invented to describe the people living in uptown minneapolis lol. But yeah I agree with your lest sentance, I'm not making it my job though, just doing some builds over the winter

Art ain't necessarily reliable. Just sayin. I tend to lean toward rideable, reliable bikes, so the whole rolling art thing is lost on me. :shrug:
BTW, not angry, not an artist (so you'll never see me or mine "out there") not a "builder", and ain't been little since the 6th grade!:laugh:

Man we're all edgy today huh? I'm chalkin it up to "end of the riding season anger" ha this thread got ridiculous

Back to the subject nothing wrong with making money and having fun doing it. The white bike looks like it could be built on a budget. I would get your design and parts list and go for it. You can build a nice bike and make too. Not all buyers are cheap skates and fleabayers. Build it they will come. :thumbsup:

The reoccurring theme I read from buyers is "I wanted a XS650 cause they are cheap".
Not to many post "they make fantastic (fill in blank)" so I've got to have one built.
I've seen several advertised for 2500-4000. But they keep popping up every so often on CL so no one is buying?
I agree with Gary it would be tough to get your costs back let alone a profit unless your time is free.

I'm chalkin it up to "end of the riding season anger"
Not here in Florida we're jacked because it's finally cool enough to ride:thumbsup: As for "Cafe racer demand" probably not like there is/ was for Choppers but just build one and put it up for sale. See what happens.

Here in England, the cafe scene is growing. If I thought I could ( have the balls to try) make my living at building bikes I would jack this corporate bollocks in and jump at it straight away! Go for it, you never know til you try. If you succeed, let me know, I'll be your "UK division" :)

See here's my deal. I really like the bobber bikes which is why I built one, but I LOVE the cafe racer scene. It has such a unique history and spawns from the roots of badass builders/riders back in the day.

I bought the bike to do a cafe build on and keep, but need money right now....If I can find a side job I can rationalize keeping it and if that's the case there's no doubt I will.

This video explains why I love these things.

Im gonna try and stay away from the drama and answer the original post.

I have built a few bikes from the ground up. Completely disassembled. First bike I did I will NEVER sell for a profit. Just because I was learning and doing things the long and expensive way.

I agree with the statement that was said earlier is that it would really have to be something unique or have its own style. Unfortunately an xs for 5k will be in competition with every other Harley,Ducati, or Triumph that is also selling for 5k.

I think that is the hardest hurdle to get over. This may all change though when the xs gets a little more scarce...

my .02
Second bike I might make a few hundred bucks. Learned alot from the first bike and avoided alot of expensive mistakes/made more parts myself etc. etc.

The point im getting at is that after a while you will get more and more efficient in making parts and using your time wisely. And also only buying what you need.

As for the market for bikes.... there is always someone that is willing to pay for what you have. Someone that doesnt have the time or know how to make a cool bike... be it cafe or whatever. Those people are willing to pay.

I think you are getting alot of grief on this forum because (im making an assumption) most of the people on this forum are do it yourselfers who are here to learn and teach what can be done to this specific bike.

Guys....I think you're forgetting

If I just wanted the money I would sell it as is for more than I payed for it

I'm not doing it for the money,

I would like to use this opportunity to make some spare cash in the process.

:D:wink2:

We're back to this again huh? If you're gonna quote me at least include the entirety of the sentences.

Anyway to stay somewhat on topic, I am just as much of a do it DIY'er as most people on here from what I can tell. I won't list all the home made parts i've put into bikes....but I think my profession says enough...i'm a machinist....all i do is design and make parts. And I agree with what you said about your first bike, its the same reasoning behind why I will never sell my first xs either, too much love, energy, money, and time both wasted and spent working on it.

Thanks for the input, it was worth reading

hey I was just kiddin ya . Sorry mate I wasn't laughing at you ...its my English sense of humour ......

I reckon the bobber chop rat bike scene has long had its day and the cafe racer scene is going to be the next big thing. Its got everything going for it especially tapping into nostalgia for the 50's 60's

People with the money to spend big bucks are looking for the next fashion staement not the one just passing :wink2:

I'd say go for it but with an eye on budget. Don't get carried away with building your dream bike if you are intending selling it at the end of the day to someone else for profit.

Check out Toronto area ( GTA ) kijiji , there is a '79 XS cafe for sale there, asking $3300 $. ( has been for sale for a long time too ) How much do you think he made on that build ?

Last edited:
Back