Cafe seat help

Sazbo

Sazbo
Reaction score
I got this seat from eBay, has anyone installed this seat on a 79 special, they said it was a bolt on but I'm probably gonna have to cut the frame. Any help would be great. image.jpg

Apparently, you have a new Vietnamese seat. Did you buy the one for a '75 to '78 standard and '78 t0 '79 Special? As far as I know, the standard and Special seats are not interchangeable. Hopefully, someone else will chime in, but I think you were sold a seat that won't fit. Below is the link to what I think you bought.

eBay seat

The seat is for a 79 special and that's what i have a 79 special, but in order for it to fit I have to cut the back seat loop from the frame, and if I do, will this mess with the integrity of the frame.

The seat is for a 79 special and that's what i have a 79 special, but in order for it to fit I have to cut the back seat loop from the frame, and if I do, will this mess with the integrity of the frame.

What exactly do you mean by cut? If you make cuts or grind the rear seat loop of the frame and leave it as is, then yes, it will probably weaken the integrity of the frame.

But if you cut the rear loop, and use some good quality welding to weld a different one (there's a lot of aftermarket ones sold that are flat and don't have the "kick up" in the rear that comes stock on these bikes) in place of it, then the integrity will not be jeopardized.

Back