Cafe shock length recommendation

smiles79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm going to modify my '75 a little bit over the winter into something of a cafe racer. I have a seat on the way, gonna put some drag bars on it, and I was probably gonna get some taller shocks.

1. What are the stock shock lengths? (I think I heard about 11 or 11.5"?)

2. I've been considering either 335mm or 365mm. What would be the advantage to one over the other?

Thanks much!

Smiles

Stock shocks were about 12 1/2" or 12 3/4". Most of us use something in the 13" to 14" range. I'm running 340mm (about 13 3/8") Konis and they work very well. They were originally speced for a Moto Guzzi but the eye to eye length was what I wanted so I just modded the eye bushings to fit the Yamaha.

Raising the rear end with longer shocks changes the steering geometry slightly, making for quicker steering. This is a handling improvement to a certain point. Get too high and too long on the rear shocks and the steering will get too quick. You may introduce some shimmies or wobbles. 365mm shocks would be about 14 3/8". That's getting pretty long, above what most of us install. You could try them but watch out for the handling anomalies I mentioned.

Well, you got the length right but basically, those shocks are junk, sprung hard as a rock and with very little in the way of dampening control. I would consider them a waste of money. You'd be better off applying that money towards the cost of a better quality set of shocks. They will probably run $200 to $300 new but that's what good shocks cost. You may get a deal off eBay on some good used ones if you're lucky. I scored my Konis for about $60 several years ago but unfortunately, those days are gone. Konis cost big stupid money now.

Well I don't think I really have the money right now so spend that much on shocks. So maybe I'll just leave the stock ones on for now. Thanks!

350mm is about the max length you can go or the chain will hit on the swingarm .i got hold of a few different lengths for free from a mate and tried standard 325mm, 330mm 340mm 350mm and 365mm i found the 365mm hit and rubed on the swing arm so 350mm is the max you can go this is on a 1980 s i hope this helps

has anyone run into to the problem of the chain rubbing the swingarm when putting taller shocks on because when I put 14's on, the chain was slaping and rubbing the arm so I put the stock ones back on, I havent seen anyone report this problem

i want to go taller with the rear suspension on my bike, sounds like 350mm is the max for clearance issues. what is the consensus on length when it comes to speed wobbles, i will have the sportster springs with mikes xs dampers and a steering stabilizer if any of that makes a difference with the front end wobble.

If you are looking for a cheap, but better than chinese hard as a rock shocks, new triumph bonneville shocks are a good compromise. They are around 13.25 inches i belive. Sprung a bit stiff for the xs, but much better than my stock worn out ones. The quicker steering is awesome. Think i paid around 60 dollars for mine. Low miles too. Although, i only weigh about 160lbs. So if you have some extra weight it may help.

I have 14 1/4" Progressive Suspension Gas Magnum shocks on my bike. Yes they cause the chain to rub on the swing arm. The solution is to fashion a swing arm protector out of a nylon cutting board. You can mount it using the existing threaded hole, I think it is for the chain guard, and drilling and tapping an additional hole in a non structural area.
I also raised the fork tubes 1/2" in the triples to load the front and quicken the steering a bit more. I have had no instability problem with this setup, the handling is crisp, but not nervous. It makes the bike handle more like a modern machine.

Back