Call to Duty: What you re-use to save $$$

Wolfchen

Ace of dogma
Reaction score
Been wondering how we save up odd bits, used "crusty" bike parts so we can keep 'old paint' going in this insane economy?
Share a few ideas 'ya know.

My current project has become a creative exercise in 'bike-a-nomics'. With a full time job I used to buy new stuff / parts whenever I felt like it. No more. Its work p/t or no time in the southwest US. Patient application - carefully re-using XS items is becoming the art of mech revival.

Old brake discs, used handlebars, 4 yr. old paint cans, bulbs, wires, old fenders, almost any thing that may be useful lays about / lovingly stashed - each one waiting for its call to duty.

I got shelves & totes of quasi-forgotten bike 'stuff' hanging 'round that just can't seem to de-part (sorry).
'Cause one never knows when inspiration is going to strike.
I imagine the parts will be used like those colorful robots in an animated Pixar movie recently.

And no this isn't a cleverly disguised ad for any of the used parts you see.
The pics are of 'junk' that was laying around & put to good use, err re-cycled (sorry again).

Attachments

• GT-750 shock 1 inch shorter.JPG
    GT-750 shock 1 inch shorter.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCI0282.JPG
    DSCI0282.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 135
Wolfchen;

I like your way of looking at things. I firmly believe that a lot of the members here are throwing out perfectly good OEM parts, and buying new parts that are of lower quality. I have a rule that I never throw out any OEM parts.

As an example: When I had problems with air leakage at the carbs, I bought new manifolds from Mikesxs. They were only on a short time before the leakage problems occurred again. I took them off and did some careful measurements, and found that their dimensions were not correct (loose fit) and causing air leakage. I measured my 31 year old OEM manifolds and found they had an interference fit with the carbs, which ensured no air leakage. OEM manifolds back on and they work perfect.

I also see lots of riders trash talking about the OEM Mikuni carbs, and then buying the so called "performance carbs" from Mikesxs and having nothing but problems due to poor quality design and construction.

There is a need to replace some of the original electrical parts, because technology has move on to better more reliable designs. The old fuse panels, rectifiers and mechanical regulators are just better removed and replaced with new automotive parts which are inexpensive and totally reliable.

I agree about the carbs statement. I found out the hard way that I wasn't experienced enough and simply needed a professional to tune them. I tinkered until I was blue in the face, I bought expensive carbs, I cleaned them, rebuilt them, no luck. In the end, it was the original carbs rebuilt and cleaned by a pro that keep my bike screamin reliable.

I thought I was just being cheap! I just can't seem to throw out anything. And RG I concur about some of the parts I have gotten. They are not the same quality as the OEM, but have you bought OEM brushes lately?
WN2

I save,and re-use everything I can. It makes no fiscal sense to buy a new part if you already have that part. Welding together pieces of junk to make a real cool motorcycle part is ALL the fun. I still run points because I have lots of coils,and related parts to keep my bikes running. Use what you got because it's not about how much you spent.

Back