calling all cafe owners

HooliganCycles

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i am gonna order some new rear shocks for my build its a 77, just curious what the stock rear shock lenghth is from hole to hole and if anyone has recommendations for possible different length, ive never done a cafe build before but most of them look like they have taller shocks on the rear. all suggestions welcomed, please and thank you.

On my 1977 standard, I use Ohlins 36E type shocks made for Triumph Bonneville (the new Hincley Bonnie) I believe these are 342 mm C-C (almost 13 1/2 ")

I have not actually ridden the bike yet, but at least it looks fine. This length is in the recommended range for the XS anyway, if you are looking for better handling and more ground clearance. These are not 100% bolt on, as you will need a sleeve for the bottom bolt, but that is not much of a hassle. The top mount fits as is.

A definite advantage of these shocks is that they have a 100 mm stroke, which will give approx. 120 mm travel at the wheel. Other, stock length shock mostly have an 80 mm stroke, giving less than 100 mm travel at the wheel. I tried Hagons for half a summer on my bike, and they did not impress me at all...They look "classic" but are functionally poor.

My advice is that if you want your cafe to handle good, not only look good, is to get some modern shocks from WP, Ohlins, Wilbers or similar vendors.
Most of the time you get what you pay for, and that is definitely the case with suspension and brake parts!

I went a bit more radical, 14" Fox Airshox with the top mounts canted forward a bit to raise the rear and weight the front better for track work. You'll need a chain tensioner if you lengthen the shock much past 13".

Attachments

• Ready To Go.jpg
    Ready To Go.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 182
If you go much more than about 360 mm you may have issues with the chain rubbing the top of the swingarm; clearance will vary according to sprocket combination, weight of rider etc. Mine cleared (just) with 360 mm with me sitting on bike but over crests when no load was on the rear the chain would rub (made nylon slider for arm).

Much as I'd like a set of Ohlins or similar, I suffer from a reluctance to part with money, so am currently running a pair of Sportster shocks which can easily be modded to fit (330 mm eye to eye)

Stock was about 12 5/8" or 12 3/4". Most go to 13"-13.5". I think my Konis are about 13 3/8" (340mm) and they work no problem. They were an eBay score originally speced for a Moto Guzzi. For $60, I can't complain, lol.

Back