Cam Chain Adjusted Properly?

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong here but to see if the cam chain is properly adjusted, the little blunt end needs to be flush with the nut, right? When I'm riding, I hear a rattle in the motor that sounds like it could be my cam chain being a little slack. Can I adjust it tighter? What if adjusting it a little tighter does not bring that stud flush with the nut anymore?

The book says to make it flush but it doesn't always happen depending on the adjuster and plunger set-up you have. Just make sure the rod moves in and out a little. Try adjusting it with the engine idling. Then you can demonstrate to yourself what too tight (no rod movement) and too loose (chain rattle) look like. Loosen it way up and you'll hear the chain start to rattle like loose valves. Tighten it way down and you'll see the rod stop moving. Back it off from there a turn or 2 until the rod starts moving again and you're probably good.

Thanks 5twins, I was wondering about that also as mine seems too tight and the end of the pin is still about 3/16" away from being flush. I'll reset it tomorrow and see how it goes.

I got my chain adjusted properly. Much better. I noticed oil was weeping from the pin while the engine was running. Is this supposed to happen? I know my high mile motor needs a top end overhaul. Is this indicative of a bad head gasket?

Yes, it's normal for a little oil to weep out.

Back