Cam chain and timing

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
So basically, I redid the top end of my motor and added a new pamco (old one got fried when my 4 year old turned on and left a switch on. I added an e-advance at the same time. With the top end refresh I added a new cam chain, tensioner and guides.

My question...would adding a new cam chain throw off your timing. I installed the new pamco in the same position as the old one hoping that my timing would be matched. However, the bike won't start. I have spark and fuel but no go. Wondering if I have to scale back the timing with the new setup?

You mention nothing of timing the cam to the crank properly. Did you line the t mark on the rotor/stator up with the notch/dot on the cam? If line tmark on the rotor up, the advance unit side of the cam has a hole for the pin, that should be at 12 o clock or 6.

Posted via Mobile

I'm praying that my motor builder did. I'm waiting for the battery to recharge now. Have turned back the timing via the pamco plate and am praying that this does the trick. If not I'll be contacting my motor builder this week.

Just curious...do you have to remove the motor to change the cam chain? If it is off I wonder if it can be fixed without me pulling the motor again.

Pull the alternator cover off, line the rotor mark up with the t mark. Pull right side point cover off, check if the locating pin for the the e advancer cap thingy is at 6 or 12.

Posted via Mobile

Yes, a new unstretched chain will throw your previous timing setting off.

I'll check the orientation of things Monday. Got it to pop a few twice a few minutes ago after dialing back the timing with the pamco plate.

Thanks for the tips guys. i'll post my results later on monday.

So here's what I have. With the Pamco dialed all the way back (counter clock wise) I get gunfire sounding loud pops.

The line on the stator rotor is lined up with the line just to the Right of the 'T' as pictured in the haynes manual.
10012435_10202813573694035_7347849528101862279_n.jpg

And below is the corresponding position of the Advance rod. I have a bad feeling this is incorrect. Praying my builder can fix it without pulling the motor.
10252082_10202813573454029_6678277238963537891_n.jpg

It would appear your mechanic dun fucked up. Motor has to be yanked.

I assume the pin on that side of the advance rod is in the same spot as the one on the other side. But to me that looks like cam timing is off a tooth.

Posted via Mobile

Where is the one on the other side? I'll check that too. I'm so pissed I don't even know what to say to the guy anymore.

ok...this is interesting. I open up the other side. I spot this first.

10173727_10202814302512255_6513717925960020716_n.jpg

hmmm..isn't the advance rod supposed to be fixed? If I put a nut on the left side I can rotate it without the innerpin shown above on the right side moving.

Next I look inside the new pamco adaptor. I find this
10275971_10202814321392727_4693222187185934501_n.jpg

It seems like the adaptor is ripping apart. I have another but am wondering if this is going to be an issue or was causing the issue. I've not put indexed the rod so it is at 12o'clock like the right innermost pin. I'll try it with the other adaptor. Very strange.

Can anyone confirm that the inner pin is where it should be indicating that the cam is indexed correctly. That will be a load off my mind. thanks guys.

By the way I'm assuming that it is my fault that the pamco adaptor ripped like that. Not sure why but I can't imagine this happening on its own.

Cool. Thank god for that. Now should the advance rod be moving in there like it is? I'm assuming that's what the pamco adaptor is trying to stop.

Not sure how I did it. It had to have happened during install or uninstall. Once back to normal the bike is closer o firing. I'll have to dial it in later, getting to late to keep the family up with popping. I'm also wondering if the iridium plugs are an issue with the new e-advance. They worked fine before.

Back