Cam chain issue

missile150

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, here is my next setback. I wound up getting a new cam chain for my 1980 engine. I tied it to the old one to fish it through, but of course it came apart halfway through the fishing. So I fished it through and "believe" it is sitting on the gear in the case correctly. Then I installed the cylinders, lower head and then peened the new chain together with the master link thinking I could put the cam under the new chain like I took it out before I decided to replace the chain and split it. I also replaced both the front and rear tensioners.

My problem is now the chain seems too short and I can not get the cam under the chain. Now what? Do I split the chain again, or is it possible it is not sitting in the case correctly? When I move the pistons up and down, the chain moves freely and I do not hear any metal rubbing or anything. I can get it under a set of lobes, but then get hung up on the head bolts being in the way.

Please help. This is driving me crazy. I knew the new chain would be tight, but that tight, really? Thanks.

sounds like your on the gear, but not on the teeth. see what i'm sayin?
take off your sump plate on the bottom of the engine. you can see the chain up in there threw the holes.

With new gaskets and everything loose, that's going to make the already tight chain even tighter. Put some spacers on the studs and lightly bolt the head/cylinder down. Then maybe you can get the cam under it. Let this be a lesson to you - put the cam in 1st and install/rivet the chain onto it. Never heard of anyone riveting the chain 1st (maybe because it doesn't work ?).

Did you leave the tensioner screw out while installing the cam?
As well as the spacers and putting some tension on the studs. With the cam under the chain, it fits in better from one side than the other, get the bearings on one end, use a large phillips head screw driver in the cam to help lift the cam so the other bearings slide on.
Leo

With new gaskets and everything loose, that's going to make the already tight chain even tighter. Put some spacers on the studs and lightly bolt the head/cylinder down. Then maybe you can get the cam under it. Let this be a lesson to you - put the cam in 1st and install/rivet the chain onto it. Never heard of anyone riveting the chain 1st (maybe because it doesn't work ?).

I will try using spacers to push down on the head/cylinder. I guess I can always get another master, but without sounding like a smartass, I put in on after reading. And if you do a search for installing these things, it comes up that it can be done. So now you heard of it. :D Maybe this site is incorrect.

http://www.650motorcycles.com/CamTiming2.html

Did you leave the tensioner screw out while installing the cam?
As well as the spacers and putting some tension on the studs. With the cam under the chain, it fits in better from one side than the other, get the bearings on one end, use a large phillips head screw driver in the cam to help lift the cam so the other bearings slide on.
Leo

I do not have the tensioner in at all. And which is the better side? I will try the spacers.

Got the correct chain? there are two sizes

I ordered it through my yamaha dealer for my model year, so I hope so. It was a DID 219FT just like on MikesXS and so on. They seemed to be about the same length. Any idea on how many links it should have? I am thinking about 106 according to the web.

Last edited:
On your cam you will see that the lip on one side of thre cam is wider than the other. Try putting the cam under the chain with the narrow side first, It gives just a bit more room to get the chain up around the sprocket.
Leo

Or is it on the wide side , been a long time, can't recall exactly. Try it both ways. I do remember it worked better one way than the other.
Leo

I am up for he dumb ass of the year award. But hey, what a learning curve. It seams that when I routed my cam chain, I did it wrong and went around a grove and through a hole in the sump area. Bottom line, I had to break the chain master link, reroute it, and bingo, it fits. Now I am out a master link. So maybe someone can chime in on this.

The master link has the markings of 219FS on it. However, the master links I purchased earlier as replacement had 219FTS on them. That means they will not fit. I need to find the one that says only 219 FS. Any ideas? The ones from Yamaha will not fit. I do not think it is a D.I.D. Chain. I tried a google search, but haven't had any luck yet. 650central sells a tsunami peanut chain, but there are no numbers to decipher on the site. Is that the one I have? 5twins, Leo, anybody? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
If you ordered it from your Yamaha dealer he should be able to get a new master link.
If not then You might have to buy a whole new chain.
Leo

That sucks. The links I bought before did not fit the old chain, which is why I bought this new chain. I guess I will try again. Thanks, Leo. I also looked at 650 central, and he sells a tsubaki peanut chain and link. This is not a DID chain, so maybe the link he has will work. I just have to wait till Monday to call. What a dumb lesson to learn. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

even though itwas through a hole in the sump area, it still turned? how strange.

Tell me about it. And without any noticeable noise.

I just ordered the two kinds of master links through my local dealer. One should be the tsubaki link and the other a DID. He couldn't tell from the parts list. Hopefully this will work.

Back