Cam Chain Question

jvanbeek

XS650 Member
Reaction score
first I wanted to say thanks for everyone's advice about getting the pistons into the cylinders.

I was putting the new cam chain in today and realized that it's too short. It's like 1 1/2 links short. I bought it from Mikesxs so its gotta be the correct size. What am it doing wrong?:wtf:

There are two cam chains, one fits the 256 engines, one the 447 engines. The 256 engine uses a crank sprocket of 17 teeth and the cam a 34 tooth.
The 447 is 18/36.
Mike's has the #52-4008 and #52-5021 that fit the 74-84 447 engines, and one # 52-5003 that fits the 70-73 256 engines.
What is your engine and what chain did you buy?
Another thing, you need to have the chain tensioner out of the engine.
The chain is some what tight, especilly when the head isn't torqued down. Put some spacers on the head studs and snug them down a bit, maybe 15 ft/lbs. This should compress the gaskets enough to fit the chain. Once the chain is on remove the spacers and continue assembly.
Leo
Leo

It's a 1975 447 engine with the tensioner removed. I'm gonna try to torque it down and try again. Thanks I'll keep you posted.

Joe

There are two cam chains, one fits the 256 engines, one the 447 engines. The 256 engine uses a crank sprocket of 17 teeth and the cam a 34 tooth.
The 447 is 18/36.
Mike's has the #52-4008 and #52-5021 that fit the 74-84 447 engines, and one # 52-5003 that fits the 70-73 256 engines.
What is your engine and what chain did you buy?
Another thing, you need to have the chain tensioner out of the engine.
The chain is some what tight, especilly when the head isn't torqued down. Put some spacers on the head studs and snug them down a bit, maybe 15 ft/lbs. This should compress the gaskets enough to fit the chain. Once the chain is on remove the spacers and continue assembly.
Leo
Leo

I think he might have gotten the wrong chain too. I suggested a few options just in case.
I had my 75 engine apart several times and the new chain was snug but it fit ok.
Also on the chain the pitch is different between the 256 and 447. Check to see that the chain fits on the cam sprocket right.
Do you know the item number of the chain you got from Mike's?
Leo

I bought the chain along time ago and can't remember exactly which one I bought. I've recently run into a new problem. I've dropped the Rivet link down into the motor. I'm hoping I'll be able to fish it out with some sort of a magnet. Until that happens the cam chain will be put on hold.:banghead:

Try fitting some of the chain around the cam sprocket. If the pitch is right it will lay all the way on the teeth, if not then the pitch is wrong.
Another thing, if the chain doesn't lay flat aroung the crank sprocket it will come up short at the cam.
When you find all the parts and get the chain up on the cam, plug all the holes around the cam and chain with rags to prevent things falling in.
Leo

When you find all the parts and get the chain up on the cam, plug all the holes around the cam and chain with rags to prevent things falling in.
Leo

Yep, I was never so crestfallen as when I dropped that small 10 mm. headed bolt that goes on the center back of the head, down the cam tunnel. Anger turns to frustration then to almost depression- and then a little light came on in the brain pan......drain the oil. Was never so glad as to when I heard that little 'clunk' in the drain pan.

RC
I've been baffled for two weeks now, trying to figure what chain I should buy for a blown spare engine I bought back in the 80's The chain has 106 links and wouldn't lay down properly on the 34 teeth cam sprocket. Thanks guys ! Everything I've learned on here has been so helpful.
The oil was black, indicating that this bike was ridden with the condition for an undetermined length of time before blowing. The left exhaust rocker arm was badly damaged from wear. My new set of rockers came in three weeks ago, no problem. Back in the day I would tear my bike all the way down every year for modifications but now my crankcase skills just aren't there. I hope you guys are still riding. Papa's planning on giving it another shot !

Back