Cam chain question

system9

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My new cam chain is a D.I.D 219FTS(s) 106L
The chain came already together. Is this normal? The master link was sent in a separate bag.
I removed 1 link and replaced that with the master link. My chain appears to be 1 link short. I know the new chains are super tight, but I don't have the tensioner in. The chain says it is meant for XS650's 1974-84 (36 tooth cam.
I have a 1981 xs650 special2
Thanks.

Cam chains are notoriously tight. Count your links and if you have the correct amount you should be good. With one side of the cam bearings off, can you get the chain onto the cam gear?

So, this is what's kinda weird. When I tried to remove the cam bearings during breakdown, they wouldn't budge. The bearings themselves work well, seem to be in good shape, so I didn't want to make a problem where there wasn't one, and do some weird damage trying to remove the stuck bearings. My plan was to rivet the chain while it was on the gear, but that looks impossible now. I'll try to get one of the bearings off, thanks.

Many times you need to lightly bolt the head down to pull all the parts and new gaskets together. Put spacers on the studs (1/2" drive sockets work) and snug the acorn nuts down. Doing just the 4 outside studs is usually enough.

Ok, good news, I got the bearings off, chain went on after that.
One more question. When lining the shat and bearings back up, do you want the bearing to be dead center in the case, or for some reason should they be aligned more with the inside or outside edge of the case? Hope this makes sense.

You need to drive the bearings onto the cam ends as far as they will go. I know, it looks wrong because they will be inset slightly, hanging off their seat into the engine. But you need to set them like this for several reasons .....

CamBearings.jpg

The first reason is your points and advance housings have a step on the back and need to fit into the step you've created by driving the bearings all the way in. If you left the bearings out farther, the housings wouldn't sit in far enough for them to seal against the engine. They'd leak like crazy.

Second reason, the bearings need to hold the cam centered in the head. If you left them spaced out farther, the cam could float left and right while spinning. That would throw the cam chain and sprocket alignment off with the crank sprocket.

Be sure to center the cam in the head before putting the top cover on. Measure that inset on the bearings on each side and make it the same.

Back