Cam Chain Rubbing and Case Wear Questions

downhiller

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi All- first post, would appreciate input on the two items below. The site has been invaluable as I have disassembled and now prepared to reassemble my engine.

Background: Purchased a 75-76 engine in a 1982 frame and ran it for a few months. Replaced really loud mufflers with Mikes XS Commando mufflers. Later noticed a whirring sound as engine revved. Tore down engine this winter thinking maybe worn cam chain guide or spun bearing.

Cam chain guide & tensioner ok, no exposed metal. However one side of the cam chain showed wear to the outer edges. (Sorry, picture makes it look like inner edges) I could find nothing internal that indicated the chain had been rubbing on it. Maybe a PO had replaced a worn cam chain guide, but not the chain? I will replace the cam chain, but wondering if I am missing something. Anyone seen this type of wear on a cam chain? Any other thoughts?

100_0016 resize.jpg

The crankshaft bearings were properly seated on pins and not spun. However, the case locations where the transmission bearings sit seemed to show some wear. The wear appears to be where the bearings contact the case and some areas show the wear the full size of the bearing, while others have "bands" of wear as if the bearing does not make full contact with the case. I could find nothing about spun transmission bearings. Are the pictures capturing normal case wear, or do I have a larger issue?

100_0023 resize.jpg100_0024 resize.jpg

Thank you for any suggestions you may have, I don't want to make assumptions or overlook something while I am this far into it.

Welcome to the forum, downhiller.

Your camchain likely has a history, may have been rubbing on a non-centered front guide who-knows-when. Use the forum's Google custom search on "center front guide" for more info on this procedure.

The bearing seats look okay. It's not that the bearings have spun, but they have smoothed the machined surfaces.

As far as sounds are concerned, check for whirring or roughness in the crank's rightside ball bearing.
Otherwise, these things are best chased with a mechanic's stethoscope...

Thank you 2M!

You called it on the right side ball bearing. I cleaned it thoroughly and there are some rough spots as it turns. That will get replaced.

Got the valves lapped with coarse grit today, will have to order some fine grit to finish them off.

I read the 9 page book and that was an adventure you and Dave went through. I had read the branch thread about him replacing the bearing last night so I am ready to tackle that.

I better understand how a misaligned front cam chain guide could cause that rubbing on the cam chain as well.

I think I will go ahead and replace all the transmission bearings while I am in here too.

Back