Cam Chain Tensioner leaking??

dalelemons4

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '79 XS650 and the tensioner is leaking oil. When I look for parts for the '79 they don't look like my bike. I ordered an O-Ring to try to stop the leak but I know that it is not correct as you can probably see in the picture. When I purchased the bike I was like 99% sure that it was not ever modified in any way. But here is a picture of my bike now. You guys let me know what you think and what I can do to stop this leak..
Thank you

That's not a '79 tensioner assembly. It looks like a type B. The cap seals with a cork gasket ring, not an o-ring. But, that assembly probably shouldn't be used on a '79. The cam chain on the '73 and older models had a different pitch than the later chains. That means the sprocket on that type B assembly probably won't fit into a later chain very well.

TensionerID.jpg

Very strange. When I bought the bike it had no signs of any work ever being done on it at all. I'm stumped. Well I just ordered the gasket from MikesXS. The bike has run fine with this and has never been changed. I am really confused. The bike is definitely a '79. Hmm. Thank you though this helps

Parts are easily and often swapped on these bikes. It could just be the tensioner but it might be the whole cylinder block or even the whole motor. You need to investigate because it could come into play if you need motor parts.

There were basically two versions of the 650 motor. The ones up to '73 are called a "256" motor. '74 and newer are called a "447" motor. Many internal parts differ, things like pistons & rings, cam, cam chain, and rods.

Back