engine teardown:

wheelsrus

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
just need some clarification, i have a 75 B leaking head gasket(leaking oil).in order to pull the head i have to remove engine from frame, break the cam chain to remove the head, once I get this far i should replace the cam chain tensioner and related pieces.. Sounds like a winter project to me. trying not to dismantle the whole thing what else am i missing. the bike is running just leaking oil. thanks

Yep: motor on the bench, break cam chain. The tensioner itself IME don't show a lot of wear and I typically opt to retain an otherwise good original than replace with an aftermarket reproduction of unknown quality. The guide (front) have been known to come apart - rubber separates from aluminum from age - so those get replaced, along with a new chain is accepted practice as a minimum. The rest of it depends on the condition of the motor and individual preference for rebuilds. If no excess wear is present, I'll also usually decarbonize combustion chamber and disassemble valves to replace valve seals, lap valves and reassemble.

Why not take a compression test now before ? .. Anything known about mileage ?
As Input for considering New rings and Lapping the valves .
Once in there . if needed might as well do that Instead of doing it in 2 - 3 years on
Saving work

thanks for the input, compression test good idea i forgot approx. 25k miles i was working on other items then saw people mention tensioner issues. when changing oil and screens i did not see any plastic pieces. i will run it rest of season then figure out next step. it had been sitting 2 yrs( i felt bad about that) but 6 kicks it was running

You don't have to break the cam chain, take the chain adjuster out lift the cam slightly and the bearings will come off the end of the cam, then the chain will ease off yhe timing wheel, this is when you put a cable tie on the chain so it's easy to pull back through the head

Hopefully someone get the formula from him. I thought he said it was up for sale.

I tried to snag one when I saw he was retiring too, but 46 beat me to the punch. I settled for a Shell cam instead... LOL

i did a compression check 130psi left 120 right. is that in the ball park? i couldn't find any specs . again 25 k miles.
Of course gauges and methods vary, but that's in the ballpark. The differential between Cyls. is of some concern and indicates you should go beyond the head gasket and examine the cyl. bores and measure ring end-gaps, etc.

ok gives me more to plan for, probably needs a good general checking over. i better study up on tearing these things apart. i have a 81 engine i may practice on thanks

Any smoke from exhaust ? Once the cylinder head is off one can pour some liquid in se if it leaks past valves.

If you are just doing the top end you don't have to remove the engine. It can be lifted and then tilted to the left enough to remove the top end. I just did that to replace valve seals.

Back