Cam Chain Tensioner Pin Popping

Brick

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi All ,new to forum, wonder if anyone can help. I ve just brought an injured 82 xs. Guy crashed it but only frontal damage. Apparantly the guy i brought it off had just put a new cam chain in. When I went to start it it was making a loud ticking noise. Upon investigation I found that the tensioner pin pops out and back in (1/4" or so) at a certain point in the stroke cycle.
Have read this is due to the bvalve spring and the cam but looking at the video a member has posted the tensioner pin does not pop at all and just moves the 1 or 2mm in and out as it should.
Can anyone tell me what's normal and what may be the problem.
Can I remove the tensioner assembly to check it without doing anything to upset the internals.

Cheers

It just may be to loose. As you turn the engine by hand, yes, the plunger pops out as the valves go over center.
Just turn the engine over by hand till some point after it pops. Then adjust till the end of the plunger is flush with the end of the adjuster.
Now start the engine and let it idle. watch the plunger. It should move in/out about 1 or 2 mm. If it doesn't adjust it so it does.
Ride, be happy.
Leo

Just make sure it does move in and out a little. No movement indicates you have it set too tight.

Mine had the same noise before I tensioned it properly. Snapping out instead of a smooth transition. I backed the whole shitaree off and started tensioning from scratch.

Back