cam chain tensioner vs kickstarter

I might pull the tensioner out. Not just the screw but the whole assembly from the cylinders. Inspect things for missing parts. Drain the oil, pull sump and look up inside for loose parts.
Leo

I did undo the 6 bolts and pull the tensioner out, nothing missing from what I can see on the fiche. I'll drop the oil once I've tried a few tension adjustments. Would the kick start be binding due to over tension perhaps...

This was said on a different forum which confirms my worst case senario:

"Ouch! When the end of the tensioner rod pops way out past the end of the adjuster, it's a sign that adjustment is very much too loose, rather than otherwise. The washer is the only item that could have dropped, so the problem isn't a stray part. I hope I'm wrong, but if you booted the motor with the cam chain loose the chain may have slipped on the sprockets enough for the motor to start bending valves. This is easy to check without a teardown. You know that your ignition was in range before the attempt to adjust the cam chain. If cam timing moved, ignition timing moved with it, and moved a lot; one tooth at the cam is more than 20* at the crank in your early motor. Do a static timing check, turning the motor with a wrench. Good luck!"

Back