Cam chain woe's

sanners

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi there chaps. I am 41 & was always to young to own an XS650. I have owned every thing from a Kwak AR125, every RD there was to a VTR & believe me I have bought some nails. But always in the back of my mind was the XS's lurking. I now own one & love it to bits.But I have one niggling problem... I have had it two wks & I have done 300 mile on it to get it home. I have just dropped the oil, run some engine flush through it & taken out the Cam tensioner to clean before I put in fresh oil. I noticed...wait for it..... the end of the tensioner has chain wear. So I popped my finger in her to feel the naked cam chain. No Cam blade, forgive me for being thick but there defo should be a slide in there. No little black bits in the old oil either. I know there should be a glide in there, can anyone confirm this??? Its a 79 XS650se & in very good standard condition. I want to keep this bike, so any help or advice would be appreciated.

Here's the blow up.

CAMSHAFT-CHAIN_TENSIONER.png

Hope that helps, pretty hard to figure out how it could be "not in there"

Those PO's are at it again.....................leaving out parts is one of their favourite tricks:banghead:

I've found 3 washers missing on mine so far................1 on clutch, 1 on tach drive shaft and 1 on cam tensioner shaft (damper). Bike runs much better when all the correct parts are there:D

Thanks for the GGGGary & Ritiredgentleman. The guy who I bought it off said he had problems with the second gear & replaced it with new gears. I personally think he has not put in the slides by mistake & must have realised & decided to get rid. So it looks like a top end strip down to see if the other glides are in there. God only knows what damage has been done after riding it 300 mls to get her home. It would have been nice to know before the engine blew up. This man needs dragging through with an old christmas tree. So now I'm looking for some glides. Any ideas folks???

Back