Cam Install Timing Marks?

RCGRT

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that the Clymers and Haynes manuals are a bit misleading where they describe how to install the cam. I believe the Clymers asks for the left side piston to be at TDC on compression stroke (which is already misleading because without a cam all of the valves are closed), however, the timing mark on the left side of the cam should be vertical, which means the left side valves are NOT closed, so how could the left side piston be at TDC on compression...But the right side would be be...
The Haynes manual does not depict LEFT or RIGHT side, it just says position the pistons at TDC on compression stroke. Again, if you're installing the cam, how can you determine compression stroke or not, there is no cam yet to open any of the valves.
I'm referring to completely stock stuff here.
My motor is rephased, but the left side remains essentially stock. I've put this motor together several times. I know how the cam / crank need to be timed to each other.
I was just brushing up on how the manual describes the install process, and it seems to be misleading? Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance

Yes, those manuals are misleading. As you've noted, until the cam is added, there's no way to know what stroke either cylinder is on. They're at T.D.C. but that's all you can deduce. Yes, the Clymer is wrong about the left cylinder being at T.D.C. on the compression stroke. It will be just finishing the exhaust stroke once the cam is added, about to start the intake stroke. That's just the way the cam is made and there's no changing that.

CamLobes.jpg

Awesome! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Makes perfect sense. If they would of just left the "compression" stroke part out of it, and referenced to TDC and cam timing marks alone, it wouldn't be contradicting so to speak.
Thanks for the picture as well.

They reference it that way to correlate with ignition. Reference with left is typically the ordering.

Posted via Mobile

Back