Cam locating pin

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Sorry if this was posted but i'm kinda in a rush didn't have time to search but can this pin be pulled out to install the breaker cover. Looks like there would be some interference with the oil seal if you just pushed it over it.

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 110
O. K, so the pin comes out. It was a little stubborn. My next question is: Does the lip of the seal have to be flush with the aluminum lip on the breaker cover?

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 87
The oil seal must be positioned fully inward on the housing. This is due to the fact, that there is barely enough of the camshaft sealing surface protruding from the engine. Its important that you have an equal amount of the camshaft showing on each end of the camshaft. Use a fine ruler or caliper to be sure both ends are equal.

Use some 3bond1104 (1109?),or Yamabond, around the outer edge of the oil seal. Make sure the camshaft surface is clean, so the seal has a good surface to mate with.

Attachments

• Cam Housing mod1.JPG
    Cam Housing mod1.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 101
Yes, yours may need to go in a little bit more. You could try the cover like that and if it leaks, push the seal in some more.

Ya, if you put threebond on it like RG says, that sucker is going nowhere. You can get away with pushing it in quite a bit, Ha,Ha.
I'm dry fitting everything first before using the threebond. Will it leak without it?

So i just measured the camshaft bearings, they are in my disgust, off by a about 2mm. I was sure to get them equal when i torqued everthing down, one of the outside bearings might has moved, is there an easier fix to this than taking off the rocker box?

You can probably just loosen it and tap the offending bearing in. Make sure to check the other side before and after to insure it hasn't been moved out.

As reluctant as i was to untorque the rocker box after a fresh rebuild, it had to be done. Got the bearings centered and retorqued the top.

Back