Cam pin hole

kazoom

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, gonna need some advice on this cam, its like the pin hole is cracked, tried to put a pin in it and it can move to the side because of the cracks, its from an engine i bought and wanted to put a big bore kit on.
Is there any way to use this cam or is it to far gone.
Thought about drilling the hole a bit further into the shaft.
Any ideas are welcome.
Best regards from Denmark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 271
My first question is do you have another cam or can you reasonably get another cam? My second question is are you dead set on using that cam? That hole actually goes all the way through the steel part of the cam and what you are seeing at the bottom there is the bushing or labrynth seal. Drilling it deeper will allow the pin to sit to far down and not engage the ATU correctly. If it were me and I did not have a way to get another cam reasonably I would pull the bushing and labrynth seal (they would probably need to be replaced after being removed) and drill a second hole 180* from the original. But in order to do that you would have to be able to secure it properly in a vice and use a drill press with the proper sized drill bit. I am not saying that is the best way to go, first see if you can find another cam at a reasonable price.

Another way would be to locate the exact spot for the hole, use a brazing rod/torch weld the hole over and re-drill.

It's just a location pin for the ATU, someone must have been beating on the ATU in an attempt to remove it and that caused the damage.

If the rest of the cam is good it's worth saving.

My best guess.

Back