Cam Shaft

Jack

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone using the Megacycle cam 250-00 or MikesXS knock-off version? Would like to know where the power comes it at, what RPM's the power drops off ,etc.

One of the guys in Australia who bought a Lillie CNC head has tried both the Shell #1 and the 250-00. He gives the 00 the nod for "feeling" like it has a bit more performance. He also said that the power comes on like the #1, i.e. very linear with no sudden surge or hit, which isn't surprising considering the specs. I've asked for dyno numbers or quarter mile figures but nothing has shown up.
He's also told me he's going to try a Megacycle 20, but that was several months ago and I've not heard anything further.

Thanks. Trying to decide which cam to using in the long rod. The .00 being ground on a 110 would naturally pull harder on top than Shell or the .20. I like the fact the .00 has no sweet spots or sudden hits,it would be interesting to see how that cam responded ground 104 I&E.

The webcam 59a is a very good cam for road use, I had one in one of mine, decent increase in power all the way through, last time I took this engine to the strip I ran 13.3 at 98, 707cc but this was with a spread crankshaft as I later found out.
I did used to run this engine on the road and could not fault it for road use, but not really good enough for racing.

I believe Michael Morse (from 650central.com) ran one on his AHRMA 750 Sportsman road race bike. While not a full on top end, maximum horsepower grind, he was pleased with its performance at slower speed tracks like Sears Point. I have no reason to think it wouldn't be a good cam for a hot street engine in the 700 - 750 cc range. Might be a bit much for a 650 ... don't really know. Perhaps someone who has run one can chime in.

There was a fellow on Youtube using Mikes cam but I'm having problems trying to locate it. Y/T must drop'em after awhile.The 00 cam would be a excellent match for where my D ports drop off and combined with the L/R should make for an interesting top end surge.

Last edited:
Jack search the forum for the mikes cam, I'm sure it was found to be misground/mistimed or something similar.

Did that and found what I was looking for. Griz had one momentarily:laugh: said it would pull up to 8500 and would go beyond that,just wanted to keep pulling. I have no intentions of purchasing that clone cam from Mikesxs.

Jack, you're a hoot! For the record, lest the unwary be misled, what I had to say about the Taiwanese "billet" clone of the 250-00 was that the thing is badly designed on several scores. First, it has a 2-point bolt-on sprocket, and you can either mount the sprocket on two holes or two slots. Theoretically, the slots permit adjustment for degreeing in the cam; but if you'd trust a pair of 7 mm. screws to hold it in place on the slots (as opposed to the conventional 3-point mounting), you're a lot more trusting than I am. If you mount it on the holes, you'll have to degree in the cam by adjusting deck height carefully, which means you don't have an easy way to select the CR you want to build to.

The second issue is that the mounting boss for the sprocket isn't balanced; it has two heavy extended lugs that provide meat for the threaded holes for the sprocket screws. Those lugs change place with every full rotation of the engine. Bottom line: that POS will shake your teeth out. Note that Mike's photo doesn't show that side of the camshaft.

As far as power development goes, I liked it; very steady, good top end. I think you'd be pleased with the real thing from Megacycle.

The 250-00 clone went to the scrap yard (when I buy junk I don't fob it off on the unsuspecting). My old Shell #1 is back in service, and things are much better now.

BTW, my rev limiter is set for 7500.

Uh, yeah, Jack, did that once, before installing the Probe ignition and setting the limiter to 7500; kinda silly screwing the motor up that tight on the street.... Scabber, I suspect those numbers came from Jerry Heiden's Psychic Dynamometer: the operator thinks of a number, and the instrument reads his mind--pure magic!

For what it is worth Mikes site has some dyno runs with the cam. Looks good on paper. The 250-00 seems like a good all around cam.

It's a very smooth running cam based off the vid I heard. Heidens # are within the ball park for what was done to the engine, of course a set of 36mm flatslides and port work would of elevated those #s more. I won't prejudge anyone after seeing this vid:D this is one bad ass XS.

Back