Camshaft Question??.........Advice Please!!!

xscessivecompulsive

Live 2 Ride, Ride 2 Live
Reaction score
Hey guys, So I recently found out I had a burnt exhaust valve on the left side and took the head in to get machined and had a light porting done aswell!! After my head received a clean bill of health I started to move forward on reassembly! I then noticed a couple small pits in one of my cam lobes and on one of my rocker arms! So now im about ready to suck on the end of my 12 gauge and cash in!! But before I do, I wanted to hear your guy's thoughts! If I went ahead and bought a new cam I would then half to replace all four rockers and then take the head back to the machine shop and also replace the springs, correct? Or could a guy find a good used cam with four matching rockers and install that?? Any help on insight on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks in advance fellas!!

XsC

Being the frugal guy that I am, I would say that getting second hand replacements in good shape would be the best way to go.

Small pits on the cam are okay. Flaking on the rocker arms is not though. They should be replaced.

So if the pits on the cam are fairly small would a guy be safe in just replacing the rocker arms?? The sad part about it is that all the rocker arms are solid except for one!! And one other question, if I found a good condition used cam with matching rockers are all the cams interchangeable?? My bike is an 81 and was wondering if a guy can use one off an older engine! Ive heard you can use newer to older, but not older cams to newer engines? Any truth to that????:banghead::banghead:

XsC

You'll want a '74 or newer cam. '73 and older ones had a different size sprocket. Only one rocker is used, same part in all 4 spots. I'd just replace the one bad one with a good used one.

Thanks everyone for the responses! And 5twins, I know your a fella with a good amount of knowledge in these engines! Now, can I feel safe in replacing just one of my rockers if I found a good 74 or newer cam? Reason I ask is because I thought that you if you replaced the cam with a used one you should also have the same rockers that went with that particular cam due to wear marks?? Whatya think?

XsC

I don't think the wear marks would matter too much, we're not building the space shuttle here, lol. What I might be more concerned about is the fit and wear between the rocker and it's shaft. Might be a good idea to use the shaft that went with the replacement rocker so they remain a matched set.

Where is the pitting on the rocker arm and cam shaft? On the rocker if the pits are not where it rides on the cam, then they don't matter. On the cam if they are small and on the closing side or bottom of the lobe, then again no problem.
If your OCD won't let you run them then good used replacments are not hard to find. As 5twins said use the new rocker with it's matching shaft.
Pics will show us the pits and where they are.

Thanks for the help guys, I will try and get some pics posted here! I just happened to score two used cams in good shape and two sets of fours rockers that are also in good shape for free!! All the parts look to be in great shape! So as long as I pick out the best cam and have four good rockers with their same shafts I should be good to go, correct??

XsC

Back