can anyone help? i am in need of diagnostics

lowliferat

certified hack
Reaction score
bike is 80 G was stock when u got her, had bs38's on her (i know not stock), a stripped plug hole , wrapped plug with teflon tape and got her running and put in a pamco , and hughs PMA , all good, ran her for a few months like that.
then one day i decided i was going to ride down the railroad tracks ....lots of bumps and almost busted my ass lots of times, when done she wouldn't throttle above 3000 to 3500 rpms ....so i limped home ...decided it was trash in carbs ....put on a set of bs 34s w/ drill slides ,42.5 jets, had plastic floats , so i set them to 27 mm height , put on uni filters, headers w/ slash mufflers on em ,set valves to 15 exhaust and 6 intake, started her up .....had to get her warm to take off choke....idled great, tried to set timing and my mark was 180 off , ....snyched carbs ...and off i went .....sputtering right around 3000 and up .... backed off throttle and could change gears ....she pulled good as long as i was slow on the throttle....then the hail and snow came , so i slowly drove home. my questions are ....
1. why is timing mark 180 off?
2. what could i have bounced around inside motor to give me same sputtering at around 3500 rpms?
3. how do i set timing if i put my mark on hughs's pma wrong?
4. i never heard my valves ticking like i do now...sound like my vw baja aircooled
any help or ideas would be great...but at least i rode today....first time in 2 weeks.
thanks Hugh and Pamco pete

Well the BS34 with foam floats need to be set at 22mm. 27mm is for brass floats.
Valves are 0.0024"(0.06mm) intake...0.006"(0.15mm) exhaust, so they should be ok unless they were gapped incorrectly/not TDC compression stroke for the side being adjusted. I always rotate the engine back around then re-check. I always find them off. I never set once, then walk away. It's a pain, but I can get them right on, rotate the engine and they are sure to be off.
The sputtering at 3K sounds like a bad advance. It's not opening enough.

Bouncing around on RR tracks could have broken loose gunk in the tank and plugged up the carbs and partially blocked the main jets. Clean carbs, add an in line fuel filter.
With no key between the PMA rotor and crankshaft you will need to find and remark TDC and the timing marks anytime you need to check timing. Or build the right key so the rotor stays aligned on the crank.
Leo

The valve ticking could be due to using the wrong feeler gauges. Make sure you set them to .06mm and .15mm, not .06 inches and .15 inches. Some other forum member made this mistake a while back.

no kidding, throw it off a cliff while you're at it too, lol.

littlebill31 ....i checked advance and it was all moving when i looked didn't try with it running, i will check the vavle clearences and see what is up with them.
xsleo... i built a key and put it in there ... i wonder if it slipped?...will check and advise.

Dogbunny.. will have to check that out...i've done stranger things

poofish....seemed like a good idea at the time

5twins... do you think it would help?..i dont have no cliffs...but there is the chesapeake bay?

can you see the weights move with her running? i rode her today , she burped and farted till warmed up good , then same as before. i will check all above after school tomorrow. thanks all for new places to look.

yes, you can see the weights moving alot easier if you point your timing strobe at it. then you can see if the adv. weights are acting as they should.

Yeah the advance weights work well. My feeler gauges didn't go down that far. Those sure are tight clearances compared to my toyota and vw aircooled. Maybe that explains why she sounds like an neglected sewing $achine form a sweat shop. Now need to set the carb float height. Thanks all

bike is 80 G was stock when u got her, had bs38's on her (i know not stock), a stripped plug hole , wrapped plug with teflon tape and got her running and put in a pamco , and hughs PMA , all good, ran her for a few months like that.
then one day i decided i was going to ride down the railroad tracks ....lots of bumps and almost busted my ass lots of times, when done she wouldn't throttle above 3000 to 3500 rpms ....so i limped home ...decided it was trash in carbs ....put on a set of bs 34s w/ drill slides ,42.5 jets, had plastic floats , so i set them to 27 mm height , put on uni filters, headers w/ slash mufflers on em ,set valves to 15 exhaust and 6 intake, started her up .....had to get her warm to take off choke....idled great, tried to set timing and my mark was 180 off , ....snyched carbs ...and off i went .....sputtering right around 3000 and up .... backed off throttle and could change gears ....she pulled good as long as i was slow on the throttle....then the hail and snow came , so i slowly drove home. my questions are ....
1. why is timing mark 180 off?
2. what could i have bounced around inside motor to give me same sputtering at around 3500 rpms?
3. how do i set timing if i put my mark on hughs's pma wrong?
4. i never heard my valves ticking like i do now...sound like my vw baja aircooled
any help or ideas would be great...but at least i rode today....first time in 2 weeks.
thanks Hugh and Pamco pete

yes i was using the wrong size feelers, i set the floats to 22mm for the foam floats, found i put the timing mark 180 off on the exhaust stroke when i set up the pma , she fired right up and drove nice , so i went and conqured those rail road tracks .... thanks for all you guys help

Back