Can anyone Identify these Relays?

kshansen

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I was working on my 1978Special today. Trying to get a handle on the wiring that was experimented on at the trade school this bike was at for a few years.

Anyhow working on what was missing and what was still there by combining what came with the 1978 and my odds and ends from other XS650's. I don't think these relays go to the 1978 as I'm not seeing any connectors in the MikesXS harness I bought many years back. Just wondering what they are on the chance someone needs them, they appear to function.

The two on the right have two contacts that are normaly open then close when voltage is applied the the other terminals.

The single relay on the left has two terminals that are normally closed that open when voltage is applied to the other terminals.

Yamaha relays.JPG

I don't have anything like that on my '78 Standard, which I'm pretty sure is the same as your Special as far as relays go. The only relay I'm aware of is the starter/headlight safety relay under the right side cover. Speaking of which, on your '78 model, you can "fix" your handlebar light on-off switch so that it works normally and all the time by simply unplugging one wire at that safety relay .....

vG1TF6W.jpg

5twins,

Do you have any other pictures that show wiring like that one? As I have said what wiring was on this bike had been messed with big time so it is of little no use to install the new harness.

I do have the print out from the factory manual, you can see it in my picture above, but actual photos would tell 100 times more details than those.

I have not even removed the head light and am only hoping that those wires are in good condition!

Right now I'm trying to identify which plugs go to which component and think I have most if not all those things matched up!

One thing I'm thinking I may need to find are some of the signal light mounting parts #7 in the picture below. Have not looked hard for them but don't recall seeing any in the box with the signal lights I have.

XS650 signals.png

Last edited:
Here's a better shot of the right side, showing a bit more. Your Special model won't have the single fuse holder like mine .....

mGg3RE9.jpg

Here's the left side. The only thing there is the voltage regulator .....

x88WFGp.jpg

It's wire loom routes in behind the battery box, between it and the inner plastic fender, and connects into the harness up on top of the battery box.

5Twins, Thanks for the pictures, every little bit helps!

As to the relays I believe I have figure out one of them so far.

The single one to the left in picture with the rubber appears to be the side stand switch relay 4U8-81950-02-00 which would have been on the 1982 Heritage Special.

Back