Can I eliminate my 72 compression realese.

That wasn't me. I leave mine natural aluminum, just bead blasted to clean them up.

I guess I'll start a new thread about hub buffing and get it out of a compression release thread. :laugh:

Please watch for it and respond there if you would. :D

Cal, you can buy OEM boots that will handle ethanol for decades and fit in the OE metal shrouds from 650 Central. If you use JBM boots be sure to retain the OE air box or otherwise support the backs of the carbies. Don James is a good man and I'm sure he didn't mean to misrepresent his product, but his experience is mainly with light carburetors on ultralight aircraft. With the heavy BS38's, his JBM boots will crack at the spigot stops if used without support. Anyone who tells you otherwise just hasn't used them long enough, it's going to happen.

Cal, you can buy OEM boots that will handle ethanol for decades and fit in the OE metal shrouds from 650 Central. If you use JBM boots be sure to retain the OE air box or otherwise support the backs of the carbies. Don James is a good man and I'm sure he didn't mean to misrepresent his product, but his experience is mainly with light carburetors on ultralight aircraft. With the heavy BS38's, his JBM boots will crack at the spigot stops if used without support. Anyone who tells you otherwise just hasn't used them long enough, it's going to happen.

It's funny you mention this. Just last night was looking at his boots. And I was looking at all the threads I could find about support brackets.

I'll try to find the OEM stuff. But I'm a long way off from there. :bike:

Cal, a support bracket is easily made; just form an L-bracket running from a breather box bolt to the top bridge of your carb set. Drill holes in the bracket and bridge. For vibration damping, make the holes big enough to accept a piece of rubber line. Insert a screw through the lined hole, using a rubber washer and a flat washer on the screw on both sides of the join.

Back