Can I just take out the points? Cam chain tensioner replacement.

Chito

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So... I have an 81. It runs great, but the cam chain tensioner guide appears to be going bad... as there are little black plastic pieces in my oil screen.

I have no money in the motorcycle fund currently.

So... I have an extra motor that I wanted to use for a chopper project (that will probably never happen), so I thought I'd throw in there and see if it runs. It's a 3g0, which I thought meant it was an 80, but it appears it also was 79s... and this particular motor has points, though it looks like it's missing some things on the left side (at least a pin, maybe more). I haven't forced myself to learn anything about points yet.

I thought I'd just take the stator off my 81 and put it on the 80 for a while, but can I just take out the points? Leave them in there?

Will any of this work at all?

Also... I was looking for a list of things I'd need to replace my cam tensioner guide. Should I just replace the guide or is this a "you'd be stupid not to replace..." I guess I'll need gaskets too.

Stator and rotor as a pair. You can leave the points in. You might zip tie the wires from the points to the top motor mount so you do not have them dangling but they won't connect to anything.

Also... there are no wires coming from the points. It has the black cap that blocks off the hole, just like my 81.

If you're using the igntion from the '81 you need the '81 stator, to connect its pickup to the tci ignition. If you need the '81 stator you also the '81 rotor because it has the magnet that is what the pickup on the stator picks up.

Sounds like the points on the '79 were disconnected though? If so, maybe it already has the right stator and rotor on if it was being used with tci before.

If there is a pickup on the stator of the spare motor it will work without swapping anything. Which would be good because the rotor requires a special puller.

Back