Can I remove the collectors or mufflers and still run with only pipes?

ngjonola

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I want to remove the tips of my exhaust which I guess would be considered the muffler or collector. They're starting to fall apart and I want to change the look a bit but don't have any money for anything new. Can I remove the tips of the exhaust where they screw on to the pipes and still run? Other than the sound, will it effect anything as far as performance or will it even be able to run without having them on? I appreciate any advice since I don't know much about the mechanics of bikes yet. Thank you.

Thank you. I figured it wouldn't be as easy as just removing them. Re-jetting the carbs is way beyond my scope of knowledge...so far.

removing functional exhaust mufflers/silencers will alter the performance.. removing exhaust, i.e all of it, can be detrimental to the engine in general but don't worry about that so much on removing silencers only.

I'm no pro on this aspect, far from it lol I'm still learning myself, but I can at least tell you that carburetion and exhaust should really be treated as one organic process... like heart, cardiovascular system and lungs of the human body,... sure they do different things individually but they work together so closely as a team that change in one affects the other and therefore overall performance of the engine of the bike/energy converter of the body lol. consider exhaust to be the lungs, carbs the cardiovascular system and heart being the valves... for any system there will be an optimum balance of peak performance. do a little reading on exhaust scavenging... it won't make you an expert but it will give some understanding of what goes on between air filter and exhaust tip.
SOmebody will likely come along and give you some ballpark figures, if not exact jetting figures, for the changes you'll need to make in order to run what you want. sorry I can't be more help, but if you're that noob, then maybe my noob response might be useful. keep us updated cos I might learn something :D

you will need to rejet, I don't know how exactly

duplicate post, slow net, clicked "post" twice. :S
turns out it wasn't a duplicate even though forum said it was... now none of the original post exists. /confused

Last edited:
For many reasons it it is best to run mufflers of some sort. Since we don't know which XS650 you have it is hard to say what would work for you. But if it is running well now my strong suggestion is don't mess with it. Use muffler patch/tape high heat paint and keep riding for the rest of the season. One fairly common result of removing mufflers without proper carb changes is a hole in a piston. This usually means the bike doesn't run so good anymore.

I checked your photos and found this.

full

Looks like an 80 special. Those mufflers are welded to the head pipes There ARE ways to change to replacement mufflers on those headers but they get a bit involved for one with limited equipment and skills. Again the season is short, keep it on the road for now. Consider muffler replacement as a winter project.
One economy muffler replacement is to use stock Harley mufflers usually available for about free on CL You will need to saw the head pipes buy auto shop adapters jam or perferably weld them in and make brackets for the mufflers. But the bike will probably continue to run fine with stock jets. You up for that? There are many complete replacement exhausts available, maybe make a nice christmas present?

little_santa__s_helper_by_lpvictoria-d5ph7j0.jpg

They will most likely require some jetting changes.

Back