Can i see some drum brake set ups

mkesbest

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I have a feeling I have to reconfigure mine. I have jump street custom mids with linkage. But I have a feeling that ill have to move the brake stay tab. Not too thrilled. Anyone care to share what they got going on with theres? This is a 75, not sure if that matters.

Attachments

• Drum Brake Rear View.JPG
    Drum Brake Rear View.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 104
  • Drum Brake Side View.JPG
    Drum Brake Side View.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 152
I don't know if you're wanting a stock form or custom. If stock, this is the best I can do for ya. Sorry.

Attachments

• old pictures 386.jpg
    old pictures 386.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 73
I will likely be in the same boat. I have the same mids and will be doing a drum in the rear. My situation might even be worse because the bike had disk in the rear originally. Needless to say, I have been scrounging around on the net for used spacers and bushings to try and get all the little tid bits I will need. Let us know how you get it all fabbed up. Good luck!

Yes, I think you're going to have to move the brake stay tab forward on the frame a few inches at least. As it sits now, the attachment tab on your brake hub is pointing back, about in the 7 or 8 o'clock position. On a stock bike, it points more forward, in about the 4 or 5 o'clock position .....

TX750RearWheel.jpg

This will also swing the brake arm down lower so you can connect the brake rod to it. As it sits now, you can't even attach the brake rod, the axle is in the way. A shorter brake stay rod is another option.

Thanks guys, it looks like ill be cutting off that tab, and rewelding it on this weekend :( Good thing im in my office at work or id probably scream! I cant wait to get this thingout of my hair!

"get it out of your hair"? It's a custom, fabricating is what customs are about or am I missing something?

Indeed ..... it just amazes me the number of guys who buy that fancy adjustable brake stay (for all the good it did in this case, lol). As far as parts fabbing goes, a simple brake stay, nothing more than a length of flat bar with a hole in each end, has got to be about one of the easiest things to make.

In any case, an imaginary line drawn through the stay tab, the stay mount on the brake plate, and the wheel axle center should form a 90 degree angle. This will reduce the forces on the tab and stay to a minimum, increasing the safety margins. I have seen drum brake stays come disconnected on 50 cc mopeds, you definitely don't want that on an XS....

Indeed ..... it just amazes me the number of guys who buy that fancy adjustable brake stay (for all the good it did in this case, lol). As far as parts fabbing goes, a simple brake stay, nothing more than a length of flat bar with a hole in each end, has got to be about one of the easiest things to make.

5twins, you are basically right, but if looking at a brake stay from an RD350, you will notice that the material thickness at the ends is doubled. Since the bolt holes reduce the cross section, the thicker material makes up for that. So an RD 350 brake stay is very much an optimised part with respect to strength vs weight. A flattened tube, like on some XS models are not optimised in the same way.
Even if it has no bearing on this particular thread: A stay for an OEM disc setup puts the stay in compression. This has the potential to buckle a flat bar stay.

A brake stay with rod ends/uniballs is useful with a floating rear brake arrangement, but has no advantage on a non-floating setup. And a floating rear brake on a rigid rear end makes no sense whatsoever..... Actually, rod ends/uniballs will increase bending loads on the bolts, as the bolt then needs to be longer. I may come across as an engineering nerd, but getting everything right when modifying brake setups is important nontheless......

Gary, got a little one on the way. Bought this bike last fall, and was hoping to have it finished before this coming spring... my gf bought a house, I knocked her up, and I bought a 66flh in the mean time. Im slowly pecking away at this but once its done I plan to sell it anyways to help fund diapers and the shovel. It is fun fabbing this all up I agree, but between getting the house baby safe, and then when I do get to work on this I keep screwing shit up... frustrating :(

5 twins.... glad I thought that thru my head... sounds like ill just get some flat stock, round off the edges, and drill some holes. Way easier than cutting the tab off and rewelding it back on.

5twins, you are basically right, but if looking at a brake stay from an RD350, you will notice that the material thickness at the ends is doubled. Since the bolt holes reduce the cross section, the thicker material makes up for that. So an RD 350 brake stay is very much an optimised part with respect to strength vs weight. A flattened tube, like on some XS models are not optimised in the same way.
Even if it has no bearing on this particular thread: A stay for an OEM disc setup puts the stay in compression. This has the potential to buckle a flat bar stay.

A brake stay with rod ends/uniballs is useful with a floating rear brake arrangement, but has no advantage on a non-floating setup. And a floating rear brake on a rigid rear end makes no sense whatsoever..... Actually, rod ends/uniballs will increase bending loads on the bolts, as the bolt then needs to be longer. I may come across as an engineering nerd, but getting everything right when modifying brake setups is important nontheless......

Specially if it's the ONLY brake.........
Been there by accident, won't go back.

Gary sent you a message. I think I figured out a solution, going to shorten the tc bros brake stay and see how that works. I think I have it all set just have to get home and double check a couple things. Ill post a pic or 2 before actually cutting to get some opinions. One positive, while sitting staring at the brake the last couple nights I did manage to get the sissy bar almost done. Pretty slick, was able to use the front oem fender mount/strut. Now have to clean off the chrome and paint her. May as well post pix later if I remember to. Rainy here so a good night for the garage.

So looking at some different set ups on cc and whats shown here, mine I think im headed in the wrong direction haha. I was going to use that hole as shown in the pic, but it looks like some guys have popped out that bolt that's on that extra little tab spot and used that. I saw there is a plate on the back of there, can I just pop that bolt out and use one of the ones that came with the TC bros set up? This would completely make sense, just want to make sure that will work. Going off what I see, I think it will? Sorry my pictures suck but you can see what im talking about hopefully.

Attachments

• drum brake 1.jpg
    drum brake 1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 70
  • drum brake 2.jpg
    drum brake 2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 88
I am not clear what you are sayin', the stay attaches to the brake plate, it needs to allow the stay to pivot, that's why Yamaha has that unusual bolt there, so you can attach the stay but it's still free to rotate. It doesn't need to turn much but side loading of the stay needs to be avoided.

so the plate as in the little bolt that is just right of 6 oclock? Can I pop that out and use the ones supplied with the brake stay? Its a larger bolt. Sorry, I got the bike in rough shape and the brake stay was no longer on there, so trying to piece it together. My Clymer isn't much of a help on this one.

Back