can`t dissasemble rear brake

deadeye

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I HAVE A 650 THAT HAD BEEN SITTING OUT FOR SEVERAL YEARS. CAN`T REMOVE BRAKES FROM DRUM, FROZEN. I`VE TRIED EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF :banghead:. NOTHING WORKS. DON`T WANT TO DAMAGE ANYTHING. HELP!

Go out and shout at it like you're shouting at us, maybe that will break it free ..... and take Jesus with you, maybe he can help, lol.

Water gets in and swells the brake shoes and sometimes they fall off the backing plate too. Remove the nut, spring, and rod from the brake pivot arm. Use your favorite rust buster on the pivot shaft. Use a wood block and a hammer and beat the arm back and forth and in out, if you can till it loosens up. Use a propane torch if you need to. Try to figure out where center is on the pivot shaft so the pads are not pushed out against the drum. Is the axle out? Use the wood block and hammer and tap against the side of the stay bracket on the backing plate to break the shoes free of the drum. Patience; If you get frustrated, walk away and come back later.

Sometimes caps are to better see what you're typing. Especially when your nick is 'deadeye' and you're as old as us. So just in case.... P.S I typed this in all caps and something converted it. Hell, I tried anyway.

The splined shaft that sticks out the side, which the pedal goes to is the hinge pin to everything. Tap on it with a hammer from the outside toward the inside until it starts to give.

thanks for the advise, i`ll try it. and for all you people out there whining about the caps i did my reply this way just for you. do small letters make it easer for you to read?

you`re right jimmy. didn`t look at guidelines. looks like someone already beat me to delite it. thanks for bringing it to my att.

Back