Can you figure this one out?

STVR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Bike: 1975 xs 650

So a couple of months ago I replaced a lot of things on my bike new coils as one went out, new points,valve adjustment on all valves,timing ,regaped points,set the tension on the cam. Now im no expert but I have a good feel for this sort of stuff.....so I thought.

I took my bike out on the first test run and everything seemed fine had to adjust the clutch cable a little. Took it out for about 45 min, when coming to stop lights it sounded like it was going to die but gave it a little gas then it sounded fine.

Whilst turning around on a road in first gear suddenly it sounded like a knock in the engine the rear wheel locks up and I got down. I was going about 10 mph so no harm done. I picked up my bike rear wheel turns fine,pushed it to the side of the road, then started it back up rode it in 1st gear then to 2nd and she died never to start again.

Now Im wondering what the problem could be she still wont start up and now im hearing a lot more slap in the valves than before. Could my valves been set incorrectly or maybe the timing was wrong? No seizure of the piston thats totally fine.

I suppose I will go check the cam tension,regap the valves,reset the points and the timing anyone have any ideas? I'm a bit stumped on this one.

Thanks

Steve

I would check the battery if thats good,
check the points if they are good,
check the timing both sides if they are good,
do a compression test if thats good,
check the carbies, ed
you need a warm engine to do a proper cam chain adjustment

If it's knocking when you crank it over, something's wrong. Locking up like that then breaking loose tells me either you had something hit something inside the motor, like maybe a valve hit a piston, a momentary seizure of piston to cylinder, a chunk of carbon got trapped between the head and the piston, or maybe even something floating around in the crankcase got stuck somewhere.

I'd start by, as Downeaster mentioned, checking the valve adjustment. If all that's OK I'd then check the cam timing, you can do that in a rough way by turning the engine over to the 'F' mark, if the points are in the proper place (just starting to open) that means the cam timing is at least real close to OK. If it isn't right then further checking is needed. Pull the spark plugs and look down the holes, see if anything looks awry. It might help to borrow a 'bore scope' to have an even better look inside.

First step is a compression test. That will eliminate or confirm worse case scenario.

Hey I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded. So today I basically adjusted my cam chain, did a valve adjustment on all valves and kicked her over and she started right up! I noticed that there is kind of a tick kind of a noise coming from what I think is the cam chain. Now I know that you should adjust this with a warm engine which I intend to do tomorrow. Will this rid me of this annoying sound? I'm posting a vid with the sound im talking about

VIDEO:

Awesome video! Thank you you have any more vids for this procedure? Im going to have to start this process in a few days. In order to get the engine unmounted I plan on loosening what ever bolts I can then leaning the bike on its side and loosen the rest of the bolts. Pick the frame up and the engine will lay on the floor on its side.

Awesome video! Thank you you have any more vids for this procedure? Im going to have to start this process in a few days. In order to get the engine unmounted I plan on loosening what ever bolts I can then leaning the bike on its side and loosen the rest of the bolts. Pick the frame up and the engine will lay on the floor on its side.
thanks there are a couple of things that i would do diffrant
like i would not hassle with the chain like i did just drop it you get to when the juggs are off
i changed the way i put on the guide too,put it on before you put the juggs on that way you can make SURE that it is centered in the tunnel. dont do like in the video
use copper washers under the 4 outer head nuts they hold the torque better than oem washers
yes i have

Man I can't thank you enough these videos
Are excellent !!!! I will be watching these over
And over. Great street tracker by the way sounds
Really smooth!!

Im assuming your cleaning those jugs with baking soda? That is a great idea soda blaster for free!

Back