Can you guys tell me if these Carb PICS look correct

TRYGAR

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just want to throw some pics by you guys to get your educated opinion.

::Can you tell me if the order of assembly looks correct on the canadian needles. (I'm concerned about the little tab hanging down on the orange/brown bushing)

::Float bowl levels (I had them set to 22mm height but that seemed to run too full) I have set them lower than recommended spec but it still seems to be too hight,let me know if they look correct. At the height they are set to right now, my bike tends to rage out of control while just idling (similar to what it was doing when they were set too high and flooding). RPM'S rage up to like 3,500 and the only way to get them to come back down is to shut the bike down, which results in a massive backfire that scares the hell out of me and my neighborhood.

::Last but not least, spark plugs, do they look like a decent mix

Attachments

• photo-4.jpg
    photo-4.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 143
  • photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 135
  • photo-7.jpg
    photo-7.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 155
  • photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 145
  • photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 141
BS34...sorry

::pictures right side up::

I have pod filters (thats all), I live at sea level (virginia beach,virginia), Stock main jet, bumped up 2 on my pilot jet, running canadian needles on the leanest clip position. Spark plugs show the results of this set up.

I'm planning on going down 1 size on my pilot jet, once i drop down a pilot size I plan on going to the 3rd needle position. ::Does this sound like a good plan of attack?

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 122
  • photo-7.jpg
    photo-7.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 141
  • photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 143
  • photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 117
  • photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 122
The fuel level (engine off) should be level with the bowl and carb body seam.
1mm +/- off that is acceptable.
This could be part or parcel of the raging. A lean condition.

The pin on the nylon bushing goes in a small hole in the slide.
Look at the bottom of the slide and you see it opposite the air hole.
So down is correct.

Your fuel levels look low and your plugs seem to show an imbalance. Have you sprayed carb cleaner around the throttle shafts and intake boots while it's running? Are the carbs synced? Have you checked compression?

Yes your needle assembly looks right for a stock needle the Canadian needle has 5 grooves doesn't it?

jet%20washers%20005%20%28800x256%29.jpg

Last edited:
Wow i thought the raging was being caused by a rich bowl fuel level. thanks for the heads up on that, I'll adjust them back to how I had them.

I definitely didnt have the nylon bushing set correctly into the hole.

I'll do some adjusting and tweaks and get back to you guys

Thanks

Stock BS34 warning;

Have the o-rings that seal the float valve to the carb body been replaced?

22mm (measured the right way) should always be ok for the BS34. If it isn't then something else is the problem, not the float level. The original needle seat o-rings can get very loose over the years and leak. Mike's needles have a bad rubber tip, at least mine did. The actual Mikuni needles and seats, they are usually ok. I don't like the plastic tube method. The reason is if you lower the tube gas runs in and if you raise the tube again it will show high because the extra gas can't go back in the tank :) Almost need to do it with the tube wired up and the bike running to stabilize it all. Just measuring 22mm is vastly preferable, I do believe. I once had a single cyl 4-stroke and it took off like you describe until I adjusted the valves. I think the exhaust valve was cracked open during the intake stroke, making an air leak.

Back