can you turn motorcycle rotors?

they cant be done with a regular rotor turning. these rotors are too hard. I'm not sure but someone said they use like a bridgport kindaa lathe.
might be easier to buy a new one

Click on "Tech" at top of page. Go down to Tools............Shop Tools , Homemade....................page 4 post #61.

These rotors are not hard, I cleaned up the surface with emery paper and drill press.

Click on "Tech" at top of page. Go down to Tools............Shop Tools , Homemade....................page 4 post #61.

These rotors are not hard, I cleaned up the surface with emery paper and drill press.

Hmm I think these rotors are hard, I had my rear rotor drilled out and the machine shop broke 2 bits on it before they found one strong enough to drill through it.. and these guys have been around about 30 years... maybe its just certain years? dunno.

That's a piss poor machine shop if they have trouble drilling these rotors. I drilled both of my rotors and had no problem at all.

Attachments

• drilled_disk.jpg
    drilled_disk.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 194
As the gentleman said, they are easy to drill. I surface them by powersanding them while they are spinning on the lathe. A three inch disc in a drill motor, going through the grits. I wouldn't attempt a badly damaged one.

There are resurfacing services on ebay. Try google, too.

John

Attachments

• yellow10.jpg
    yellow10.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 188
Took mine to the local O'Reilley's and they turned just fine. These are a really soft, tough stainless steel and they throw nice big strings off the turning cutter. The guy had to take a couple passes at each side to get them to turn down, 'cause those big strings of stainless scared him a bit. After I drill them they will get hit with a random orbit sander with probably a 220-grit disc, wierdo-looking surface finish fresh from the machine.

I could see this stuff mangling drill bits if the machine shop tried to be too aggressive with it.

These are a really soft, tough stainless steel and they throw nice big strings off the turning cutter. The guy had to take a couple passes at each side to get them to turn down, 'cause those big strings of stainless scared him a bit.

I could see this stuff mangling drill bits if the machine shop tried to be too aggressive with it.

Stock rotors are not stainless or hardened. Put a magnet to the rotor and it will stick. Stainless Steel is non magnetic................BG

Rice rotors are a corrosion resistant derivative of Meehanite . Goofy , gooey , difficult to machine but in the end a cast iron . Drill bits need not be carbide or even cobalt but a variation of the 135 degree split point with a 11-13 degree leading edge is about right . Best drill lube I've found is used anti-freeze .

~kop

They are stainless. Is stainless non magnetic? It varies. See here for some detail http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae546.cfm As several posted they clean up well with sanding disks. If they need more than that just pitch em and find a better set. The slotted rotors from an XS1100 are bolt on....

:wtf: Well I guess I'm not too old to learn something new.... Thanks for the heads up gggGary...............BG

Back