Can't afford a blonde and a red corvette so....

Iowa Mark

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I was sent here to relearn my way around the latest "really good purchase" I have out in the barn. I bought a '73 650 brand new and in a crate, back when the ship I was on in the US Navy tied up in Japan. Drove that thing all over as my only transportation for a couple of years and took it home to Iowa when I got out of the boat club. In '77 or '78, I cut into it and made it into kind of a bobber before anyone even called them that.

scan0001.jpg

As happens, other people entered my world and the bike went away. Stopped by a shop the other day, that has olded bikes and does repairs to them, run by a fellow I've known for years. "So, what do you have to have for that old XS sitting out back?"

bike001.jpg

"Look what followed me home, dear." My wife is so happy for me she didn't even have the words to express her joy. Engine is stuck, tires are bald and won't even hold air, anything that can rust or corrode from non-use for 10 years, has. I have several other projects ahead of this, so things are perfect. Plans are for another "bobber" for those trips to work on good days and quick runs to town for whatever we forgot. Hope I can contribute at least as much as I get from the wisdom around here.

welcome back! If you made your 'new' one look the same as your 73 after you hardtailed it, that would be very cool! Dare I even say-BOSS

Back