Cant beat free! (new dude intro)

jtbeaufort

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm JT, and am in Beaufort SC. Dude gave me a 79 XS that he bought new, and in 92 parked it in the back of his garage. We had to tunnel thru 19 years of stuff to get it out. He even gave me a couple of beers while we were digging.

I'm a vintage VW guy, and have a small shop at the house when not at 'work' (I'm a firefighter). Haven't owned a motorcycle since I was 19.

Well, I hooked a battery up to it and a fuel line, shot of ether and vroom! Runs like a champ although it doesn't like to idle. My plans are to do a low buck retro look in military dress. I've been making a sidecar and might put that on it, I understand it's pretty involved, front forks give me the most concern.

Basic plan is

Get everything working
Smooth out gas tank
Relocate horn to front forks under headlight
Fab solo seat
Buy custom exhaust
Get retro tail light
And whatever else I can think of

My philosophy on it was best summed up by Indian Larry, "it's the gizmo-ness of it" in that the fasination is with the levers, wires and to expose and highlight those things.

I'm no master fabricator, and there are probably 5th graders with more knowledge about bikes than I have, but it's going to be fun. Gotta educate myself as to how to post pics. So far the site has been hugely helpful, so thanks to whoever for that.

Here's a pic of the bike.

Attachments

• xs650.jpg
    xs650.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 143
:thumbsup: You got a nice one to start with:wink2:. Have a ton of fun with it!:laugh: Oh yeah, welcome to the fold :D !

hi a guy called david taylor in australia ,,, had a side car on his xs650 modded motor ,,,, chopper,,,the pinkish sort of colour in the members gallery in aust,,, and he did not have a link set up and he regularly rode it without dramas,,,,regards oldbiker

Back