cant get left side cover wont come off

estewart

XS650 Member
Reaction score
i bought a 79 xs650 from the salvage yard yesterday, and i cant get the alternator/clutch pushrod/front sprocket cover off. i think the shift selector got rusted to the cover, but when i pry the cover out and hit the selector with a mallet nothing happens.

i'm doing a full restore to the engine and im going to make a chopper out of it also, but i'm stuck cuz i cant get that side cover off.

any advice or tips will be appreciated.

I just went through this on Monday. Spray penetrating oil in every hole and all around, then wait a day. Next day, pull with your hand where the chain comes out while hitting the front with a rubber mallet. Once it brakes free a little, stop hitting it, start to wiggle loose. I know someone is going to say not to hit it, but I whacked the hell out of it, and it's fine.:thumbsup:

The cover is loose and hitting the shifter? The bolt is out of the shifter? Sometimes it helps to spread the shifter with a wedge. Or are you referring to the shift shaft? Do you have a manual?

Stupid question, you do have all the bolt's removed, correct?There are 6 of them. The shifter could be causing the grief, use alot of PB Blaster, good stuff.

i think two of the bolts have sleeves for proper fitment...there prob. rusted in place...as stated lube the holes and use gentle beating to remove...dont break it.....

i got frustrated a bit abd broke off what i needed where the chain goes into the cover, but i can det a new one from the salvage yard for $20

i did double check when i was trying to take it off and yes all of the allen screws were taken out.

i was hitting on the shift shaft while prying the case open, but had no luck doing it that way. i also have an 82 xs650 and the side cover on that comes off with one hand. i wouldn't expect for the 79 to be more complicated seeing its a few years older.

i ordered a haynes book for it today it covers 70-83, and i also have a book specifically for my 82 xs650sj. i didnt think it would work for my 79 so i bought the other one.

What did you break? Got a picture? I'm curious.

By the way, Welcome to the site!

i dont have a camera yet. but its the part of the cover that slopes up to give the chain some room. at the upper right when your looking at the cover.

but i bought some of that pb blaster stuff. i spreyed some on and let it sit for a bit. tried the same method of getting it off, but no luck again. ill keep spraying of the pb blast in and let it sit longer.

If you can rotate the shifter at all it can't be rusted to the cover enough to hold it on. My guess is some dolt glued the cover on.

Take a thin knife or drywall spatula and stick it where you've pried up an edge, just barely under the edge, and tap the knife all the way around it with a light hammer.

Might pay to check that the shifter is still located properly, if you have hit it to hard you could have pushed it past the pins it locates on, on the right hand side of the engine.

Back