Can't stop

aspookytree

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a nissin 14mm master cylinder and dual front brakes, with steel brake lines that I just put on. The problem is, I'm not getting any pressure. I've bleed the brakes and I'm all topped off on fluid, but the calipers aren't moving. There aren't any leaks in the system, and everything is brand new. Was hoping someone might have some advise/answers.

Thanks

Last edited:
with steel brake lines that I just put on

That means the system has been opened --then the air needs to come out I believe it is called
bleeding in English
It can take a while to get the pressure again speaking here of stock single front disc
keep on a while .. doing it .. Notice how the fluid coming out looks
The handle shall feel solid when properly done

Air in the lines. Pull the top off your MC and gently work the lever just a tad and see if you see bubbles. Otherwise if your system is air free and the pistons are frozen you won't be able to move the lever. Other option is MC cups.

Air in the lines. Pull the top off your MC and gently work the lever just a tad and see if you see bubbles. Otherwise if your system is air free and the pistons are frozen you won't be able to move the lever. Other option is MC cups.
Thanks, I'll keep working them and see if I get anywhere.

I know this is a new problem, but I rebuilt my Forks a little while ago, and when I got on the bike to test the brakes, it made a squishing sound. I'm assuming this is due to not having enough fluid in the Forks? I'm fairly confident I measured the volume amount correctly, but obviously not if this is happening.

Most likely the same problem If the right volume went in -- of the right fluid ... it can take a while to get the air
bubbles out. Oil to all places
The other possibility something installed wrong I would wait ... and then if not getting better change oil
first.

Yes, my forks made that squishing sound too when using the stock amount of oil. I added about another ounce to each leg and all better. These forks just plain work better with a little more than the stock amount of oil in them. They won't make the squishing sound any more and will dive much less during braking.

As far as your front brakes go, yes, just keep bleeding. I've encountered the same issue when refilling a totally empty system. Even though the fluid appears to be coming out the bottom with no air in it, there was still no lever pressure. Pulling another few ounces of fluid through (I use a Mityvac vacuum pump) started giving lever pressure. After I get the system full with the Mityvac, and begin to feel some lever pressure, I finish the job the old fashioned way by hand pumping the lever.

Yes, my forks made that squishing sound too when using the stock amount of oil. I added about another ounce to each leg and all better. These forks just plain work better with a little more than the stock amount of oil in them. They won't make the squishing sound any more and will dive much less during braking.

As far as your front brakes go, yes, just keep bleeding. I've encountered the same issue when refilling a totally empty system. Even though the fluid appears to be coming out the bottom with no air in it, there was still no lever pressure. Pulling another few ounces of fluid through (I use a Mityvac vacuum pump) started giving lever pressure. After I get the system full with the Mityvac, and begin to feel some lever pressure, I finish the job the old fashioned way by hand pumping the lever.
Awesome, thanks for all the advice. Really appreciate it.

On a fresh start. Remove hoses from calipers, remove calipers insert a blade tween the shoes. Push shoes out as far as they will go, a bit of air will do it. Now pour caliper full of fluid. Reinstall lines, push pistons back all the way in with your blade. You should be getting fluid showing up in your MC reservoir. Odds are your brakes will now work.

Back