Carb adjustment or????

BBQRider

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Ive got my bike back together. thats the good news. bad news is the electric start is not working. Not too worried about that because after all this I may just change it over to kick only. That being said the bike will start and idle (high) by kicking it. Problem is it cuts out when working the throttle. is that a carb adjustment issue or possibly something else? Another thing is Ive kept it running for a minute or two (at a high idle) and it starts making a clicking noise? Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance for helping a rookie!
IMG_5102.jpg

Damn. That looks like a clean bike.
Do you have abox fan full bore pointed at the head from the fron? Could be overheating if not.

Your high idle could be a simple carb adjustment but it could indicate a lean condition. I see you added pod filters. You have the BS34 carbs and they came set up very lean from the factory. Any changes at all to intake and/or exhaust can require some re-jetting. With only one change (pods), you probably don't need much. I would bump the mains up one size and probably the pilots too. The cutting out when you give it throttle could also be a lean indicator.

Follow 5twins advice for sure!

I think when he removes the pilot jets he will find they are plugged up. Twisting the throttle, and the rpm does not respond (cutting out) means the carbs cannot supply enough fuel via the pilot circuit. The tiny pilot jet orifice is the usual suspect.

I should also mention that if you haven't removed the metal plugs over your mix screws, you're going to have to. The factory capped them so you wouldn't mess with their E.P.A. standard settings but you're going to have to when you start modding things. Heck, even a stock bike will run better if you re-set those screws a bit richer.

Thanks so much for all the help and insight. A buddy of mine is coming over this week to give me a hand with the carbs. He has quite a bit more experience doing this than me so I'll share all this great info with him and let you know how we make out. But for now its off to Chesnee SC for the "Antiques on Main" bike show.

So my buddy came over the other day and after a few hours and a couple runs for carb parts we nailed it. With some new jets and a few other parts to the carbs she's running awesome! Thanks for all the insight. It certainly helped. I do have an electrical question though, if anyone can help. The neutral light on console always stays on. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Back