Carb bowls that will fit?

fiveohindc

'77 XS650
Reaction score
So, I had a gas leak a while back, turns out one of my carb bowls is cracked.

I'm looking on eBay and the like (and here on the Classifieds but no luck so far) for the cheapest I can find because everything else on mine is fine. Problem is this:
They are Mikuni BS38's, but when I search for that I find nothing. On ebay, for example, there are tons of carbs but none labeled BS38. I get that might just mean they are hard to find, but it seems weird that on various sights I can't find anything at all.

Do they go by a different name? I see CV used, and I can find a ton under the "TM" abbreviation. Alternately, if there is no other name, would any other type/size bowl fit mine? I'm guessing NO but thought I'd ask.
(The bike is a 77 650, fyi)

Adding here that I found one on eBay, think it might be the right one... Of course, the original is at the shop, and I couldn't get a hold of him to find out what was stamped on the bottom of mine. Anyway, thoughts? Think this could be it? (either way, I ordered it... so if not, I have a bowl to be giving away for christmas!)

photo1.png

photo.png

That looks to be the correct bowl. What you need is one designed to use the VM22/210 pilots, which that one is, and one with the overflow pipe inside and overflow nipple on the bottom. You got lucky. That particular bowl was a '76-'77 item only. Earlier bowls used the BS30/96 type pilots and later ones didn't have the overflow stuff.

Be sure to pull the pilot jet out when you get the bowl to make sure it's the right size and type. The BS30/96 type will screw right in but won't work correctly in that bowl. Also, being so old, jet sizes have been changed many times. Your '77 would use a #25 VM22/210 style pilot as stock.

650PilotJets.jpg

Back