carb cable and plug wire question

tomykoz

"what dont kill me makes me stronger"
Reaction score
honda questions :).....so please help and bare with me until i get my shadow running and sold so i can buy a nice xs650....this thing is a rats nest of burried parts and wires...honda got nerve calling it a motorcycle!...anyway
had it running at idle..give it throttle and it would die ....when running not much pressure blowing out of front cylinder pipe(the one with the bad plug wire)...so i figured tear down time...gonna clean carbs and put fresh wires and plugs

QUESTIONS:
#1-....throttle only had one cable going to carb ..the pull cable was good the return cable was missing......
my question..does it need the return cable or can i just use the one?

#2-also...found brittle plug wires.....can i just get a universal auto parts wire set and trim them to fit....or do i gotta buy an exact high priced honda set?

gas was old...i drained it all out and flushed carbs and cleaned jets....bowls were spotless so im guessing just old gas...guy i bought it from didnt put stabil in gas over winter and stopped riding it in august of last year.....and them dummies at honda got 4 plugs in this vtwin and 2 of them need a thin wall socket to come out.....just shoot me.....honda tool kit was missing :(

as always thanks for any help in getting this(as 5twins puts it " lazyboy on wheels") going!!!!

Last edited:
Push pull throttle, I've never done it but lots of people claim to just use the pull throttle without problems on Hondas.

You may be into newer technology than I'm familiar with, but I think your bike uses metallic core, non resistor wires just like the XS's and Briggs & Stratton. I use a blue silicone, 7mm, wire that I buy by the foot at my NAPA store, some NAPA stores have it, some don't. My NAPA used to be an old time speed shop back in the day and still offers these kinds of things. Regular suppression wire will not work.

SeaFoam in the gas tank at 3 times the recommendation will clean the carbs after a few tanks of it. It will clean the tank, valves and carbon too.

Proud Honda owner and rider, Scott

thanks scott!.....hope i didnt offend you with the honda joke,,,,i like hondas i just like the simplicity of the xs650 more...i got this dirt cheap and trying to trouble shoot it...i may keep it i dont know...

i got the tank drained....you think its ok to leave it empty for a week or will it start rusting?

Shouldn't be a problem unless you rinse it with water. For short term you could spray some WD40 in there, long term the WD40 wouldn't be good protection. I do have great respect for the old man Honda, no problem though.

Scott

Hi Tomykoz,
My one experience with a dual-cable throttle was on a brutally PO'd VF750F that my son bought against my advice.
Quote:- "It works OK with one cable, you just gotta remember to roll the grip forward to open it up."
We bought the other cable.
And even if the single cable ain't rigged up backwards I doubt that the stock return spring will safely replace the second cable.
And yeah, generic plug wires with real wire in them is what the bike needs.

Back