Spark plug wires/boots question

xs650brat

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Looking to switch out my yellow spark plug wires on my '78 XS650 Special. A few questions that I'm looking for clarification on:

1. Can anyone point me in the direction of the right NGK boots and a set of black wires appropriate for my bike? Running NGK BP7ES plugs and the coil as pictured below.
2. The wires are replaceable on this coil, right?
3. What is the connection like between the end of the wire and the coil?...what's inside that screwed on collar?
4. How does the boot attach to the wire?

I'm sure this is basic stuff...but I've never replaced spark plug wires on a bike before. Tools required, tips and tricks all appreciated before I purchase wires and boots, pull the tank and get in there.

IMG-4942.PNG

Go ahead an unscrew those black plastic caps and then unscrew the plug leads off of their center screw mount. That is a maintenance task to do anyway to look for corrosion. You’ll see how the new leads will screw back on that center inside the coil receptacle.

The LZFH caps are non-resistor, as are the BP7ES plugs. That's fine if you're running points but if you have an electronic ignition, I think most like a resistor cap or plug.

The NGK plug caps screw onto the wire. If you look into the wire hole, you'll see what looks like the end of a wood screw in there. It's made to "screw" into the end of the plug wire. The stock coils may have the same thing, or may just have what looks like the end of a small nail. If that's the case then you just push the wire onto it. Also when you unscrew the cap at the coil, you should find a little rubber "doughnut" on the old wire. That gets compressed when you tighten the cap, pinching the wire and holding it in. So, you'll need to transfer it to the new wire. To insure good contact, I like to prep the ends of the plug wires like so .....

Plug Wire End.jpg

Back