Carb Dip On Plastic

Buckminster

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just got a carb all ripped apart and ready for a chemical carb cleaner dip. I removed all plastic and rubber with the exception of the plastic overflow drain on the bottom of the float bowl. I believe this is a pressed fit and looks like I will wreck it if I try to take it off. Has anyone else out there dipped the float bowl with a similar product and know if the plastic piece will survive? I'd rather ask the question now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Berryman's is a chlorinated solvent and will jack up most any plastic or rubber product. Try the Pine Sol.
Berryman's is awesome if you are absolutely free of plastics and rubber, but it is rough on your skin (wear gloves!) and if you don't get it neutralized (it contains phosphoric acid too) it will corrode the crap out of stuff you can't even see.

As a follow up to this thread, the Pine-Sol worked well. I recently fired it up and the bike seems to be working so far. I enjoyed the fact that harsh chemicals were avoided rubber gloves weren't required. Chem dip probably would have worked as well, but Pine-Sol is only 1/3 the costs. Good luck to everyone out there!

Back