Carb mix screws go in farther than each other?

projectxs650

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My bike is a 1980 xs650. I was working on the carbs today, specifically the fuel mix screws on top. I know they are supposed to be synced together, but something was weird. My left carbs mix screw was fine, and when it screwed in all the way it would be flushed with the screw hole. However the right One was different, it would screw all the way in and then some, probably 1/4th of a cm more than the left screw. I didnt over tighten it, because on both sides I stopped when I felt it had no more threading to go.

Now my right exhaust has white smoke coming out of it when I start it up. That's a sign that it's running rich? Prior to me working on the carbs it did no have any smoke, and when I was cleaning the carbs i did not touch the float levels at all.

Thoughts on this?

projectxs650,
When you say the left screw is all the way in and flush with the hole. Are you talking about the metering hole inside of the throttle body?
Going with the assumption that is yes.
There seems to be a mix of screws that will fit in there. Some have a longer "pin" end.
Some are flared. Do they look the same when you take them out?

a little update.

I took apart my crabs, found that i had a diaphragm tear that i believed was the cause of most of my issues.

As for the carb screws. for some reason the thread in the right mix screws don't start at the opening, it looks like it starts about a half centimeter down.

i jist noticed the same thing on my bs34s.... bot the same screws, new springs washers and orings....when both are seated they are at different heights in the screw hole when i look from the top

Did either of you notice this before you took the carbs apart? General procedure before pulling that screw out is to run it in, counting the turns, so you can put it back where it was when you go back together. Just sayin. Probably would have noticed it then, if is was not something you did. several different screws will fit, but all should bottom at the seating surface, well before you run out of threads. If you have them aout and apart, just get a new set of screws, and then you know they are the same.

On the BS34s, when fully screwed in, the pin on the end of the mix screw will stick through the hole slightly into the main bore. You can see it and feel it with your finger. If both of yours do that then I wouldn't worry about how the top of the screw ends up. If they don't, then there may be a problem. I would carefully inspect the bottom of the mix screw hole and make sure there's not an old o-ring/washer still jammed in there.

If the screws don't bottom out the same then you're going to have a problem when you try to set them. Say for example, 3 turns out on one isn't going to match 3 turns out on the other as far as where the screw is for metering purposes. The one that bottoms out less is going to be farther out and consequently set richer than the other screw.

Back