Carb Q: Needle seat o-rings.

Dakota_Lew

XS650 Agronomist
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just rebuilt my first set of Bs38's, I have got myself a little frustrated. I ordered from Michael Mercury the carb rebuild and he threw in the needle seat o rings, but bloody hell i am having one hell of a time getting them little buggers in the seats. They just seem too big, is there a trick to getting them in there or...? to be honest i almost feel like maybe i have the wrong o rings, like they were meant for the idle screws but they are to small to be them.

I have rebuilt other carburetors in the past and to be honest i don't really recall having an o ring in the needle seat.

Any advice is welcomed & thanks for your time!

Here is a picture in what i am referring to in case i am calling it by a wrong name which is highly possible haha.
carbqy.jpg

The o-ring doesn't go in the side your showing. Pull the needle out from the float bowl side. Then replace the o-ring. It may not be necessary to replace the o-ring if the neddle is still tight in its socket. Hope this helps, I just finished rebuilding my 38's.

I assume you're talking about the needle jet o-ring (not needle seat or just plain needle). It goes around the outside of the needle jet so as mentioned, the jet has to be pulled out 1st. Do that and it will be pretty obvious where it goes. Look at some of the pics of needle jets on MikesXS.

First off thank you for the reply!

You got me and my right hand stumped though on what your referring to. we feel pretty silly (haha) I think my lingo is wrong, I am not referring to the needle and seat, i guess you could call it the "metering needle" basically the main needle the comes down off the plunger.

Below is the picture of what were looking at when we look down on the float bowl side.
carbq2.jpg

But this is the actual o ring I am trying to find a home for.

carbq3.jpg

Once again thank you so much for your time and trying to help a dummy figure this out.

That tube sticking out of the bottom that the needle slides into is a nozzle jet pull wiggle it out if it dosent budge than your probably ok not changing them

The o-ring goes on the main nozzle. The brass tube in the center of the carb in your pic. , jiggle it a little if its loose pull it out and replace the o-ring, if its solid you can just leave it or if you really want to replace it jiggle it until it comes out.

Ok, for some reason I was under the impression that the nozzle jet was pressed fit in there. I tugged on it once to make sure it was snug and it didn't budge. I will double check but those suckers were in there something fierce. So if it doesn't budge just leave it? No point to exacerbate a problem without reason, unless it should be changed out routine?

Thanks again guys for your time and responses.

If it won't budge I would leave it unless you soaked the carb bodies in one of those carb dip cans. That stuff will eat o- rings and seals, some could have worked its way in and will loosen the o- ring seal over time.

Back